Read Errors on 360

Discussion in 'Games' started by barr08, Jan 2, 2007.

1. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

I've had my 360 for about 4 days now, and I have already had 3 Disc Read Errors that freeze my game. The errors have been happening on Gears of War, but potentially could be happening on any game, as GOW is the only game I have been playing.

Is this common? I know it's a microsoft product, so I am not ruling out the consideration that errors happen frequently. Let me know your experiences.

PS: The first 360 I got didn't work out of the box. I had to return it, and got the one I have today. Do the Xbox gods hate me? Am I doomed for life? :eek:

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

No it's not common and it will be GOW only because it's a disc error.

Chances are it's not your 360's fault but just the disc is either dirty / greasy / or scratched.

Take it out and make sure its clean, and that there are no scratches in the shape of a pure ring around the disc.

In future...

1. You should never move your 360 whislt its turned on and a disc is in the drawer as it could cause scratches. Please dont ever have the game in the draw and move the console from Horizontal to Vertical position.

2. Never leave a game in the machine when you power off as the spinning of the drive as the machine powers up could scratch your disc.

This goes not just for the 360, but is advisable for all the consoles (wii, PS3)

3. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

rb6 vegas did that to me a couple of times and so has stra trek legacy. it has only occurred when i go and try joining a game online not when i host. the vegas issue stopped when they updated it recently.

4. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

thanks for the advice

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

If it's live that has this issue, then always test your connection and make sure your NAT is set to OPEN and not MODERATE or STRICT as this could cause problems connecting to certain games or starting them.

6. barr08 thread starter macrumors 65816

barr08

Yeah good tips. I never move the console when it's on, but I do leave my games in after I finish playing it. You advice makes sense though, and I will change my routine accordingly.

The errors I have gotten don't happen at any specific time. Once it was during a cut scene, other times during gameplay. I moved the disc from the box it was in when i bought it new from Best Buy into the console, so I do not think the disc is dirty at all. I will take a look though. Thanks!

7. jdechko macrumors 68040

Seriously? I've never heard that this happens. If it's true, then it sounds like a serious design flaw on just about every optical disc drive.

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

More so on drives where the disc is able to rattle around a small bit.

Whilst it wouldnt do anything to a disc a couple of times, if your talking about 1 game being in the console and it powers on and off a lot of times over the course of a few weeks / months then it could weaken the tensile strength of the disc or damage the disc surface, leading to disc errors.

It's just advisable to not do so.

No problem. But if it looks ok but still continues to have a read error, then take the game back and exchange it. :) best of luck.