Read my crash log please

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pknz, Jan 11, 2006.

1. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

Can one of the more technical MacRumorites read through my crash log from Google Earth and iCal crash log and see if they can give me an idea of what is causing these kernel panics.
    OS X 10.4.4 (now), 1.5GB RAM, iMac G5, no crazy hacks.

Much appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Have you tried taking out a stick of RAM? I'll be honest, I haven't read the logs thoroughly but there are quite a few pages. I'll give it a go when I get a minute (if I remember :p ). :)

3. pknz thread starter macrumors 68020

pknz

Yeah I've removed the RAM sticks (both, alternatively). Run checks, fsck, permissions etc. Thanks

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I haven't looked at the log, but make a second user account and see whether the problem persists there.

5. pknz thread starter macrumors 68020

pknz

Yeah, done that as well, I have run out of options really. Lastly I would like to see if their is anything obvious from the logs and if not take it in to a technician/Apple.

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

OK, so it's definitely something system-wide. Have you tried an Archive and Install? A bit of a pain but it should eliminate any software conflicts.

7. BearRanger macrumors member

BearRanger

I took a look at these. First thing I noticed is that the iCal crashed happened under 10.4.3, and GoogleEarth crashed after you had installed the 10.4.4 update. Did you also install the Quicktime update? That may have played a role in the crash of GoogleEarth, but more on that later.

There's no information available from the iCal crash. The thread that crashed wasn't able to save any information--unless you failed to copy the information for thread 2, as a page break happened in your report right at that point. The other threads were (to put is simply) dealing with memory management.

GoogleEarth is quite the hairball. The crashed thread was making several calls to QuickTime. The details won't matter to you, but it looks like Google Earth has an issue.

I say ignore this. If it happens again it might be worth pinning down the actual region of memory being accessed, as you could have a memory problem. But it doesn't look definitive, as the two crashes appear to be unrelated.

8. BearRanger macrumors member

BearRanger

Given that the two crashes happened on different releases of the OS, I think there are too many variables at play to go this route. I think waiting to gather more information from a future crash under 10.4.4 (if it ever happens) is the best course of action. When all is said and done, there's nothing critical taking place here so the risk should be low.

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

My skim-reading has caused me to give bad (well, unnecessarily complex) advice :(

10. pknz thread starter macrumors 68020

pknz

Yeah I tried a an archive and install and after that didn't help, a full reinstall.

Here is an iTunes (6.0.2) Crash Log, on 10.4.4, if it is of any use.

Thanks

edit: And Safari (just quit now) for good measure

Attached Files:

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm grasping at straws, but boot into Open Firmware and type:

reset-nvram
    set-defaults
    reset-all

12. pknz thread starter macrumors 68020

pknz

Still getting KPs after that. Thanks all the same

13. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

14. BearRanger macrumors member

BearRanger

Not at all; it's my fault for not realizing this was happening continuously.

Here's the deal. I just looked at the Safari and iTunes crashes. Let's throw out the iCal crash, as it happened under the old OS. The other three crashes are all the same:

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001) Codes:
    KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0001) at <different addresses in each crash>

Each address is fairly high. High enough to lead me to believe it's the module in the second DIMM slot. Here's what you should check. Make sure that your memory is properly seated. If you still get kernel panics swap the two DIMMS. If you still get panics check the memory addresses of the panics. You can just post another crash log if you don't understand hexadecimal. The panics should now have low addresses if you have bad memory. If the memory slot itself is bad the panics will still occur in the same memory range.

Two other possibilities exist. The G5 could be bad, which I think is unlikely. The most likely cause is still software--the 10.4.4 upgrade itself. I would force another update of 10.4.4 before attempting to diagnose the hardware.

Hope this helps.

15. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

Your having Kernal Panics after each time these programs are crashing? Just trying to picture this clearly. Have you checked the kernal panic logs as well as these individual app crash logs? It should be located at /Library/Logs/panic.log

16. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

could it be a plist file or whatever its called... my mail was freezing brought it in...in less then 30 seconds it was working again... :eek:

17. pknz thread starter macrumors 68020

pknz

Thanks. That is pure genius. I have swapped them around, now to get something to crash.

18. pknz thread starter macrumors 68020

pknz

Ok
    Before the swap for the Safari and iTunes the addresses were 3489517296 and 2141226608, after the swap Zoo Tycoon crash report gave 87011964 as the address of the RAM.

So that is between ~24 to ~40 times difference between the before swap and after swap. Is that a big enough difference to confirm it is the RAM that is now in the lower slot?

19. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Heh, I saw your response and assumed that it *wasn't* happening continuously :rolleyes:

20. pknz thread starter macrumors 68020

pknz

Yes, and Rember.

21. BearRanger macrumors member

BearRanger

And they came back clean?

That doesn't mean it's not hardware, as you could still have a problem with your system board. But elsewhere in MR there are numerous reports of potential problems with 10.4.4. I'm not seeing them myself, but that doesn't mean they aren't there.

Fall back to 10.4.3 and see if your problem persists. If it goes away we'll know that there's a potential problem with the 10.4.4 release. If it doesn't it's time to look more closely at the hardware.

22. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

Is that even possible? I wasn't aware that you could revert after updates.

23. BearRanger macrumors member

BearRanger

It's possible by reinstalling the OS. It's not a painless process. But it's the next logical step when you suspect the current release is bad. Or you can wait and hope Apple fixes it with a later release. If your system is unstable and you can't pin the problem on hardware that's what you're left with. (and the hardware issue is still outstanding--it may well be bad memory. But the number of people complaining about 10.4.4 seems to be growing)

24. funkychunkz macrumors 6502a

funkychunkz

Do the crashes seem sporadic, or will your system do fine for a couple days or weeks and then start crashing stuff again. Always check for dust on the LB, and everything else, for that matter. I once had terrible crashings (the system became almost unsusable) in all of my apps, I blew the dust off, and it hasn't (honest to god) crashed once since. Any instruction flaw caused by dust, humidity or static can cause slow downs, crashes or even KP. Another thing to check is catalogue structures, and SMART status.