Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

likosoad

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2005
Hi, I wanna know what weird little device Steve was using during he's keynotes to switch between slides, has anyone ever seen that thing before, maybe I'll buy, looks kinda cool for presentations :D

howesey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2005
I just use my mobile phone using Bluetooth. I have a Sony Ericsson t630, so most modern day phones can do it. You can also do other crazy things on a phone such as move the mouse pointer, control iTunes and even search songs in iTunes.

likosoad

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2005
howesey said:
I just use my mobile phone using Bluetooth. I have a Sony Ericsson t630, so most modern day phones can do it. You can also do other crazy things on a phone such as move the mouse pointer, control iTunes and even search songs in iTunes.
I've heard many good things of it, what's the range of that thing? My experience with computers tells me bluetooth doesn't go as long distance as infra red. Correct me if I'm wrong (please do, I wanne be wrong:D )

Benjamindaines

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2005
A religiously oppressed state
likosoad said:
I've heard many good things of it, what's the range of that thing? My experience with computers tells me bluetooth doesn't go as long distance as infra red. Correct me if I'm wrong (please do, I wanne be wrong:D )
BlueTooth is supposed to go 10m (30ft), I don't know how long IR goes but I know that it has to be with in site of the receiver rather BlueTooth doesn't.

nfs2

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2006
There are also newer bluetooth dongles that go for 100ft

Bluetooth also has the added advantage of not being a "line of site" method. Meaning you can use it through walls etc, where as IR has to be in the line of site of the thing it connects to

howesey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2005
Enough to work all around my house (which is made of brick) or 30m away in my back garden. I use a CISCO dongle, so the extra cost may be the reason.

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
Why doesn't Apple, or a third party, has developed a remote with airport. Goes through walls and has plenty of range, no weak signal like infrared. I find it a strange (and cheap) solution Apple has come up with for the remote with frontrow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.