Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Readdle today announced that its popular Spark email client for iOS devices is expanding to Apple's Mac lineup with the launch of Spark for Mac.

Like Spark for iOS, Spark for Mac includes a Smart Inbox feature, which intelligently organizes email into different categories (Personal, Notification, and Newsletters), to make sure important messages are always highlighted first.

Learning capabilities allow Spark to be told when an email is important, and the next time a similar message is received, it'll send a notification. Spark's Smart Notifications are designed to make sure you only get a notification when you get a message worth being alerted about.

Spark for Mac includes natural language search, so it responds to commands like "Find all my emails with PDFs," or "Find the email from Eric last Tuesday," and there are deep customization tools for personalizing Spark to meet your needs.

Other Spark features include Quick Replies, Touch Bar support, snooze capabilities, and cross-device syncing.

Spark for Mac is available from the Mac App Store starting today. Like Spark for iOS, Spark for Mac is a free app. [Direct Link]

Update: Readdle says the launch has been delayed, as Apple's approval of Spark for Mac is still pending.

Update 2: Spark for Mac is now available for download from the Mac App Store.

Article Link: Readdle Expands Popular 'Spark' Email App to the Mac [Update: Now Available]

Reactions: rmeulen

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Maybe some will laugh at this, but I’ve not yet found a mail app for macOS that I like better than the built-in Mail.app.

Inline image annotation, calendar and contact addition integration, etc. Especially in Sierra, it works relatively bug-free.

Honestly, I'm the same. I use Mail.app on Mac, iPad and iPhone. For my use they work so well.

However, I know there does seem to be the ever ongoing search for the perfect mail app, especially with new triaging features that newer clients seem to have. But just looking at 30ish people who I'm closest with (family, friends, colleagues at work), there's maybe one person who plays with different mail apps (tech savvy kind of guy), otherwise everyone really just uses what's built in.

AndyK

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2008
Terra
I wish apple would quit holding up progress. Spark is an amazing app on iOS devices and I have been waiting for the Mac Release.

They announced it was being released today over a week ago when the beta happened, which means at that point they hadn't even submitted it for review. Review times are currently around 48 hours for the MAS but the smallest thing can cause a delay. It would have been smarter to do the beta, submit the first release candidate for review and then once it's accepted announce a launch time.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Honestly, I'm the same. I use Mail.app on Mac, iPad and iPhone. For my use they work so well.

I do too, but I must say that Mail on iPhone has become unsatisfactory lately. The new way it does threading in iOS10 has been awful for my work email (exchange server), that I had to turn this feature off. I also hate how it only displays notifications and unread count only for the inbox folder, even if there are unread emails in other folders which you have set to monitor.

Reactions: orbital~debris

estorstenson

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2013
I do too, but I must say that Mail on iPhone has become unsatisfactory lately. The new way it does threading in iOS10 has been awful for my work email (exchange server), that I had to turn this feature off. I also hate how it only displays notifications and unread count only for the inbox folder, even if there are unread emails in other folders which you have set to monitor.

I have never had an issue with mail on my iPhone, but on my mac here at work, it's useless unless I want to restart it every time I want to see if it has synced with the exchange server they use here. Deleted accounts and recreated them, deleted all sorts of plists...the bug just persists. That was, of course, after upgrading to Sierra. I' since switched to Outlook here at the office and have no plans to switch to Sierra at home because I have yet to find anything reasonable alternatives. Not a big fan of Outlook, but at least I don't end up missing out on important messages because I forgot to restart Mail!

GamerBoredom

Suspended
Oct 29, 2013
Colorado

However, I know there does seem to be the ever ongoing search for the perfect mail app, especially with new triaging features that newer clients seem to have. But just looking at 30ish people who I'm closest with (family, friends, colleagues at work), there's maybe one person who plays with different mail apps (tech savvy kind of guy), otherwise everyone really just uses what's built in.

Agreed however I get frustrated at times and download Airmail again or some other client. Curious to test Spark. My problem is I always go back... All I want from iOS and macOS Mail.app clients is a snooze feature! Also a dark theme would be excellent :)

Reactions: thejoshhoward

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009

I love the threading in iOS 10. Finally it includes my sent messages as well (like the Mac mail app).

I hear you though on the Exchange folders. Haven't been on exchange for 3-4 years now. I guess it's still the same where it only monitors the Inbox?

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I love the threading in iOS 10. Finally it includes my sent messages as well (like the Mac mail app).

I hear you though on the Exchange folders. Haven't been on exchange for 3-4 years now. I guess it's still the same where it only monitors the Inbox?

The issue with threading is with some emails (but not all), the app doesn't know which part of the message was part of the reply or forward, and which is new text. So threads with 3 or more emails become insanely long as you scroll through the entire conversation for every new email. It's really odd, because for some emails it does not do this. It's inconsistent.

With regard to folders, it is also inconsistent. The unread count in the red bubble only reflects the unread number in the Inbox. If you open the app, the unread count in the bottom of the app reflects unread in all the folders that you monitor. And you can select which folders to monitor within the app. So the red bubble and notification might tell me I have 2 unread emails, but when I open the app the bottom status bar tells me I have 18 unread emails.

Reactions: profets

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Maybe some will laugh at this, but I’ve not yet found a mail app for macOS that I like better than the built-in Mail.app.

Inline image annotation, calendar and contact addition integration, etc. Especially in Sierra, it works relatively bug-free.
I am fine with mail for Mac, and trying third party email clients made me realise how much I missed the "drag file to mail icon on dock to start new email with attachment" feature. But I prefer using the same mail app across all my Apple devices too, and mail for iOS is seeming quite feature-starved compared to other alternatives such as outlook and yes, spark.

freediverx

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2006
Although this app isn't a good fit for me, I love how beautifully it's designed. This is what Apple's software might look and feel like today if they were still a small company. Part of me wishes Apple would buy Readdle. And then I realize how product development would grind to a halt if that happened.

Bart Kela

Suspended
Oct 12, 2016
Searching...
I'm always curious how these free apps that have access to your email manage to make money.
Like many other companies, Readdle offers a few free apps and some payware apps. Their business model is likely to get people hooked on using one of their free apps to persuade them to buy some of their paid apps.

They can sell it to a bigger company. Remember Sparrow client for GMail which was sold to Google (it wasn't free though).
There's always the possibility of getting bought out by a larger company, but there's no guarantee of that. A risky business model to be sure.

Reactions: willmtaylor

FoxMcCloud

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2009
Redcar, England
I love Mail.app but it does not support HTML sognatures without hacking it to bits which I can't be bothered with. So I'm in search of a good solution to use for my work IMAP.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008

Attachments

• upload_2016-11-30_12-41-32.png
    upload_2016-11-30_12-41-32.png
    221.4 KB · Views: 231

DrumApple

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2009
Outlook for Mac is still my top and only choice, works great with my company's Exchange server.

MacOS native Mail app is undependable, sync issues, not quick to update. I like how Outlook separates messages with a horizontal line instead of Mail indenting/changing color/On July 7 John Smith wrote: ... it just seems uglier and not easy to read quickly, too much text. And attachments going to the bottom of the thread is a major deal-breaker.

I'd maybe use Mail for personal use, but not business. But I actually prefer to just check my personal Gmail in a web browser instead of wait for Mail to fetch messages. So all in all, there's no reason for me to use Mail.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.