Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
[/COLOR]

I have to agree with matt on this. I am looking for a PDF utility, and great viewing performance is the most important feature. All the other features are meaningless if its sluggish just looking at the PDF.

I have been looking through some reviews, and this keeps cropping up, for example, in an otherwise glowing review for PDF Expert,

http://cynicalbabblings.wordpress.com/2012/04/05/pdf-editing-apps-2012-review/

" iAnnotate does not lag when zooming in and scrolling around the document
Goodreader & PDF Expert has a delayed reaction, especially around pdfs with graphics "

For $10, can we get the absolute fastest app?

they all lag. in my informal tests, pdf expert lags a little more than iannotate, but we're only talking about a second or two, and it is much faster than some of the other apps out there. i'd really like an app that is blindingly fast, even if it doesn't do much else :)

aCuria

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2011
they all lag. in my informal tests, pdf expert lags a little more than iannotate, but we're only talking about a second or two, and it is much faster than some of the other apps out there. i'd really like an app that is blindingly fast, even if it doesn't do much else :)

Last question - if I type up formulas with the microsoft word equation editor and save it into a .docx, can pdf expert view the formulas?

Note: iBooks 2 will open the .docx BUT will not show the formulas at all

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
Last question - if I type up formulas with the microsoft word equation editor and save it into a .docx, can pdf expert view the formulas?

Note: iBooks 2 will open the .docx BUT will not show the formulas at all

i don't know. i generally use pdf provider (an app) to convert something to pdf (if i am not on my computer at the time) and then view them in the app. pdf expert is (naturally) strongest with pdfs.

aCuria

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2011
i don't know. i generally use pdf provider (an app) to convert something to pdf (if i am not on my computer at the time) and then view them in the app. pdf expert is (naturally) strongest with pdfs.

Ugh that doesnt sound fun.
pdf provider is expensive for what it does, and then I have to use 2 apps in the workflow...

pdf expert cant convert the files natively?
I see that iAnnotate can do this.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
Ugh that doesnt sound fun.
pdf provider is expensive for what it does, and then I have to use 2 apps in the workflow...

pdf expert cant convert the files natively?
I see that iAnnotate can do this.

i guess. it seems like a totally different deal to me, especially since there is no app on the ipad that handles word documents well. pdf provider does a pretty good job. if iannotate has this feature, i've never seen it.

Readdlemate

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
Thank you for your feedback guys.

1) iCloud: We indeed worked hard to make an iCloud integration between Readdle apps. Unfortunately, Apple team was unhappy with it. So initial idea was to make some kind of ecosystem, where you can scan a document on your iPhone using Scanner Pro, and it will be automatically loaded to PDF Expert via iCloud, so you can sign or annotate it. So we have restarted iCloud from scratch. This is why there is no approximate date at the moment, but we will definitely keep you informed.

2) Our devs are already finding the ways to improve the rendering speed. So yes, we are working on that.

3) PDF Expert is not just a PDF app. You can view any types of documents such as video, MS Office, etc.

I hope this helps.

Stay tuned.

epicmar

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2008
Northern Florida
[/COLOR]

I have to agree with matt on this. I am looking for a PDF utility, and great viewing performance is the most important feature. All the other features are meaningless if its sluggish just looking at the PDF.

I have been looking through some reviews, and this keeps cropping up, for example, in an otherwise glowing review for PDF Expert,

http://cynicalbabblings.wordpress.com/2012/04/05/pdf-editing-apps-2012-review/

" iAnnotate does not lag when zooming in and scrolling around the document
Goodreader & PDF Expert has a delayed reaction, especially around pdfs with graphics "

For $10, can we get the absolute fastest app?
aCuria: Nice, thorough review of GoodReader, iAnnotate,and PDF Expert. I selected iAnnotate. All 3 are top notch apps. I wish iAnnotate had GoodReader's Dropbox synchronization and zoomed in annotation capability (almost the level of a notetaking app handwriting) and PDF Expert's delete capability. I really like iAnnotate's tab windows, search contents of all PDFs, convert Word & PPT to PDF, excellent web interface (great if you routinely grab files from the same websites), flexible tools, continuous scrolling, drag and drop, and split screen file window.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
aCuria: Nice, thorough review of GoodReader, iAnnotate,and PDF Expert. I selected iAnnotate. All 3 are top notch apps. I wish iAnnotate had GoodReader's Dropbox synchronization and zoomed in annotation capability (almost the level of a notetaking app handwriting) and PDF Expert's delete capability. I really like iAnnotate's tab windows, search contents of all PDFs, convert Word & PPT to PDF, excellent web interface (great if you routinely grab files from the same websites), flexible tools, continuous scrolling, drag and drop, and split screen file window.

Agreed - nice review.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
It doesn't appear as if PDF Expert is a universal app - is this true? I'm not sure I want to buy it "twice" for the same functionality on my phone and iPad.

Can someone from Readdle clarify this?

Readdlemate

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
It doesn't appear as if PDF Expert is a universal app - is this true? I'm not sure I want to buy it "twice" for the same functionality on my phone and iPad.

Can someone from Readdle clarify this?

Yes, it is not a universal app. In fact, the iPad one has better functionality and kind of different from the engineering perspective. However, we're working on the iPhone version, to make it better.

Tortri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
Thank you for your feedback guys.

1) iCloud: We indeed worked hard to make an iCloud integration between Readdle apps. Unfortunately, Apple team was unhappy with it. So initial idea was to make some kind of ecosystem, where you can scan a document on your iPhone using Scanner Pro, and it will be automatically loaded to PDF Expert via iCloud, so you can sign or annotate it. So we have restarted iCloud from scratch. This is why there is no approximate date at the moment, but we will definitely keep you informed.

2) Our devs are already finding the ways to improve the rendering speed. So yes, we are working on that.

3) PDF Expert is not just a PDF app. You can view any types of documents such as video, MS Office, etc.

I hope this helps.

Stay tuned.

Been a little over 2 months, just curious what the status of adding iCloud to PDF expert?

I made a PDF that does some math in it, neither adobe reader or goodreader support it correctly, works perfect in PDF expert! :-D I just would really like iCloud support added as that's where all my documents are hosted.

Great app!

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
Any updates why your APP PDF Expert crashes so much on our iPads? We have 65 and it does it VERY often on all of them. Sometimes loosing lots of work.

Xeryuslee

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2011
For the text that you enter using pdf expert text input, is there a way to format such as highlighting,underlining, and striking,or is formatting only limited to color, font, and size?

Also for highlighting, underlining, and strike-out, does that only work on certain pdf docs? Does the doc have to have been scanned using OCR or something?

epicmar

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2008
Northern Florida
I know you probably don't talk about new features, but can you at least comment on whether you are considering tabbed file viewing windows, a way to tag files (at least a favorites type capability, ideally tags or date reminders)?

Now that apps have become so capable and more and more users are maintaining a large number of files it becomes important in order to efficiently find files that there are more ways of keeping files organized. Between work and personal I have over 1500 PDF files on my iPad.

Thanks

Readdlemate

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
Does this app edit PDF files? I mean like correcting some spelling mistakes or some basic functions like that?

PDF Expert does nor edit text within a PDF right now. However, you can simply type text anywhere in the document.

Readdlemate

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
PDF Expert 4.1 update

Hi guys,

You can now download the newest update for PDF Expert

http://itunes.apple.com/app/pdf-expert-fill-forms-annotate/id393316844?mt=8

So what's new?
- Amazingly fast PDF viewer
- Auto sync
- SkyDrive, SharePoint 365
- Recording audio notes
- Combs in form fields
- Integration engine with Save Back feature
- Insert/Replace annotations are supported for reading
- Ability to move opened notes
- New bottom pages indicator
- Added default sorting in Portfolios
- Bugfixes

We'd like to hear you comments and thoughts.
Best.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.