Readers respond to "Switchers Remorse"

Discussion in 'Community' started by Taft, Aug 29, 2002.

1. Taft macrumors 65816

Jan 31, 2002
    Many of you probably remember the clergywoman who wrote an article detailing her experience switching to a Mac. The article ran on Salon and was full of complaining, misinformation, nostalgia and outright laziness and stupidity.

Well, evidently the letters came pouring into Salon from angry readers. Salon is currently displaying letters from those readers and the overwhelming majority of them agreed with our assesment of the article.

Here they are:

There were only a few PC friendly letters printed. Here is my favorite:

I, like so many others, often wonder how Microsoft can maintain its monopoly. Astrid does a wonderful job explaining why. The simple truth is, no matter how much wonderful press Apple gets, Microsoft makes the best operating system, hands down.

Sorry, Apple, you're just outclassed.

-- C. Johnson

The letters are a great read. They range from Mac zealots to other members of the clergy. Very entertaining.

2. vniow macrumors G4

Jul 18, 2002
    I accidentally my whole location.
    I wonder if any of the messages Macrumors users sent her are there?
  3. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Feb 24, 2001
    Very nice, even the PC users must have thought she was full of bull. Usually they fall over eachother to insult macs but in this case only 2 of them had to nerve to stand up and praise floppies and Lord Gates.
  4. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Jan 9, 2002
    Ha ha haaa!
    My favorite...

"Astrid: Ge at peace, my child. [sic]

Go back. Godspeed. Run, don't walk, back to the sanctuary of Gateshood. And don't let the big double oak doors hit your ass on the way out.

-- Levon River"

:D Good stuff.
  5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    The message about a Win3.1 user going to WinXP and having problems was completely appropriate.

"Where's my program manager? Where's my file manager? It has to work the same, doesn't it? They wouldn't change that on me, would they?"

I still wonder if the woman even bought a Mac of any kind or whether it's all just a hoax. I'd be surprised if the people at the Apple store didn't realize that she didn't know what she was doing or didn't want to switch and applied appropriate responses.
  6. Gus macrumors 65816

Jan 1, 2002
    WOO HOO!

My letter is on there! Cool.

I figured there'd be a lot of us writing in for that one. She is so turned around-I couldn't believe what I was reading. Had to write in for my 2¢. (Bet she couldn't find the ¢ key on her PC!) ;)