Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyepea

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
I have an encrypted external hard drive that I encrypted through the standard OSX Mountain Lion Disk Utility (journaled encrypted). It is my 'back up of my backups' that I store off-site.

I was just wondering it the s#@t hit the fan and I lost all my Macs and I needed quick access to my drive can I read it on Windows through a program? I am guessing I would just need to read so I can copy it.

I can read HFS+ drive through Paralles, and I am aware of programs that allow you to read and write on HFS+ drives in Windows, but what about when it is encrypted?

I need to encrypt this drive because it has all my personal data and is stored off-site to if it is stolen I need the data to no be recoverable.

Why would I need to recover it in Windows? Well you never know... I might only have a Windows PC available if all anarchy breaks loose... Also I might need access to it via a Windows PC in an emergency.

I could reformat the drive as NTFS so it is readable on both as OSX has no problem reading NTFS, but then I am storing everything in Windows format (I would use Parallels to copy Mac files to the Windows drive) just for the unique possibility I would need to access it in Windows in an emergency. I would prefer to stick with Mac if possible.

Thanks in advance for any tips or help.

IP

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I believe because its encrypted you're out of luck. It really won't be readable as there's no tools to help you with this

eyepea

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
Thanks Maflynn. That was my understanding as well. Not the end of the world, but would have been good to have a contingency plan that worked on Windows.

Thanks,

IP

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.