Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Halamire

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2009
So just creeping through the forum, I've read horrible things about the iPhone, makes me scared to buy one. How bad is scuff gate on the black one and about the threads on iPhones bending, I wear skinnies, so will this be a problem? ha
Thanks

iHailCarlo

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
I have mine for a while now, and I dont have any flaws or scuffs on my phone. I only just recently put a case on it. It performs great too.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
So just creeping through the forum, I've read horrible things about the iPhone, makes me scared to buy one. How bad is scuff gate on the black one and about the threads on iPhones bending, I wear skinnies, so will this be a problem? ha
Thanks

The "horrible things" are often posted by anti-Apple trolls. Yes, I realize it's probably the most pathetic thing in the world to be someone who goes trolling on an Apple forum when they don't like Apple, but it happens.

The iPhone 5 is fairly durable, within reason. If you drop it on a hard floor, it will dent slightly and scuff. it's simply impossible to design something that looks like the iPhone 5 and at the same time make it indestructible. However, in most cases the cosmetically damaged phone will still work, as proven by several drop-test videos.

Basically, if you think you're going to accidentally drop your phone, or work/live in a rough environment, you should get a case. Even a slim case like the inCase slider will protect against almost all reasonable drops; if you work in construction, or are in the military, etc. and need more protection you can go for an OtterBox Defender or similar.

If you plan to baby your phone, work in an office environment where you're unlikely to be dropping it, etc... you can go with no case. But be careful; just as you wouldn't drop your laptop, or any other expensive kit, don't drop your iPhone!

I used my iPhone 5 caseless for about three weeks before getting my inCase Slider. I casually tossed it on the table, put it in my pocket, and used it with reasonable care and it has no damage. Just use common sense. :)

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Thanks

Hear is a link to my thread on my experiences with my iPhone 5 (I got it about a month ago):

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1469891/

Short Version: Scuff free, no WiFi/Cellular issues. Best iPhone I've had.

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
Thanks

And, generally speaking, people don't speak up when things are going well and do when they're not.

I'm confident a majority of people aren't having any issues with their iPhone 5s. Perhaps many are, but they're likely a minority.

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands
Thanks

Relax. The anodizing coming off is probably due to one or more bad batches. Although it will come of eventually. There's no such thing as anodizing that doesn't wear, especially if it's the prettier thin kind. If you want to be sure, get the white phone.

And you don't have to be a genius to be able to figure out that 'bend-gate' is fabricated.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I've also had my iPhone since around launch day, and am very happy with it. It looks great and works great.

If I had based by decision on what I heard here, I wouldn't have bought it. Fortuantely, I don't base my purchasing decisions on what people with axes to grind say about it. :) You shouldn't either.

I would say, get it from an Apple Store and be confident that you have a month to look it over and return it if you change your mind. I would highly recommend getting AppleCare+ though, just in case.

Halamire

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2009
That's great to hear.
Ha I guess I don't really wear skinnies, they are slims just can't stand baggy jeans. Ill probably head to the Indianapolis apple store in the next few weeks and get one!
Thanks for the feedback!

donrsd

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2011
South Florida
I had a flawless black ATT iPhone 5 that I just returned.
it was mint, but I wanted a white iPhone 5 :)

I returned my black one on the 30th day and just received my white iPhone yesterday.

im loving the white, as all my past iPhones & iPads are white.

Anyway - I never use a case. Naked is the way to go with an iPhone.
Dont worry about the 'haters' in here. iPhone 5 is the best phone ever created.

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011
I love my iP5 so much, I'd marry it if it asked me. ;)

Did you ask Siri?? You might get lucky!!!

Anyways to the OP, dont worry about scratches and bending etc. If you want an iphone get it! Just be a bit careful and you will be just fine.

Pick up AppleCare + and you are good to go!

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
just buy it and use it normally. If it breaks because of you well then hey just pay $50 if you have applecare+ and get a new one. Babying your phone is going to ruin your enjoyment of it if you're constantly on the prowl for scratches.

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
At the alternatives section.
if you had a 4S i wouldn't recommend you to upgrade right now.

i will too wait for the next iphone because of scruff gate - and i dont like putting cases to my phone.

if you dont, and want an iphone, id say go for it; but handle with care.

MacBreezy

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2011
Charlotte, NC
The iPhone 5 is the best smart phone on the market. Very fast, looks much better than anything else out there. Don't think you will be disappointed. You here mostly negative things on message boards like this anyway. People don't usually comment on how much the like their phones...

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
i will too wait for the next iphone because of scruff gate - and i dont like putting cases to my phone.

if you dont, and want an iphone, id say go for it; but handle with care.

No, you don't need to handle the iPhone 5 with care or any more carefully than the 4/4S, assuming that the coating is properly anodized. If it's rubbing off like crazy with normal wiping, it's one of the batch with defective anodization and you can just swap it out under warranty. Mine is still flawless to this day.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Did you ask Siri?? You might get lucky!!!

Anyways to the OP, dont worry about scratches and bending etc. If you want an iphone get it! Just be a bit careful and you will be just fine.

Pick up AppleCare + and you are good to go!

Haha I never asked her that but I did this one:

Me: I love you

Siri: I bet you say that to all your electronic devices :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.