Reading NTFS drive in a USB case on OS X?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by WannabeSQ, Feb 24, 2003.

1. WannabeSQ macrumors 6502

I have OSX.2.4, and need to retrieve data from a laptop drive in a USB case formatted in NTFS. Is there a way to do this?

2. vniow macrumors G4

I couldn't read a NTFS drive when I stuck it directly to the IDE cable in my Powermac, if kept on asking me to format it so that it could read it so I'm guessing the answer is no.

I've searched the Knowledge Base extensively for this (since the drive I was trying to read had some valuble though backed up data on it) and I didn't find anything, hope there's somethng I missed though.

3. Bear macrumors G3

Re: Reading NTFS drive in a USB case on OS X?

Well, the Mac solution might be using Virtual PC.

if this is a one time occurance, do you have a friend with a NT/2K/XP system tha could read your data and burn a CD or somesuch for you?

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Unfortunately, OSX doesn't have the ability to read PC Drives when physically connected (except with special Drivers). Your best bet is to hook the drive up to a PC and share the drive on a network and connect that way. (Thats How I've done it)

TEG

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Actually FAT/FAT32 Will work, but Unfortuanately NTFS (HPFS) cannot be read by OSX (yet). Its one of those limitations that is a little annoying, but its better than having bloated system controllers like several other OSes we know (Winblows, Lindows, Red Hat, Solaris, AIX, etc.)

TEG