Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iwerken

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2006
How do I read old floppies created on os 7? I have usb floppy disc reader, but it only reds os 8.6 and later. How do I read discs created on os earlier thatn that?
thanks!

PYR0M310N

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006
can you see the files and they don't open at all, or can you just not see them at all?

iwerken

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2006
cannot see them at all

i am running 10.4.8 on a macbook trying to read old 400 and 800 discs on my old 145b laptop. i can read the newer 1.4 floppys on usb floppy drive reader, but the lder disks do not show up at all.
scott

Frank Palermo

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2005
I believe the older 400K and 800K Mac floppy disk formats are simply not readable with modern USB floppy drives. Herb Johnson (a dealer in vintage Mac hardware) has a short writeup about the subject here: http://retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/mactopc.txt. Essentially, the hardware in USB floppy drives (which are almost always designed to read the 1.4M format) is physically incapable of reading the 400K/800K format (it's not just a software incompatibility issue).

If you want to retrieve files from the older floppies, you may have to set up an older Mac with a 400K/800K floppy drive as a "bridge" between the two formats (either by also attaching a 1.4M floppy drive to that Mac, or by networking that Mac to your newer machine and sending the files over the LAN). I'm not really familiar with the PowerBook 145b you mentioned, but hopefully at least one of those approaches will work with it.

Sorry I don't have a better answer for you. :-\

-Frank

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Are there old files you are looking for? Or what exactly is on the disks that you need? Cause you can probably find a copy of whatever on the net. If not, You might have to get creative with an old Mac and a network solution. One word: Appletalk. Good luck.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Are there old files you are looking for? Or what exactly is on the disks that you need? Cause you can probably find a copy of whatever on the net. If not, You might have to get creative with an old Mac and a network solution. One word: Appletalk. Good luck.

The other posters are correct that 400K and 800K floppies are simply not readable on USB floppy drives. The way I went about getting data off of old 800K floppies is by transferring the contents to Zip disks using my Mac II. There is support for SCSI Zip drives all the way back to System 6 (which is what is on my Mac II) and the resultant Zip disks work fine in a USB Zip drive.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Us older apple collectors never have this problem, with a classic mac connected to our network ;) .

If the data is highly important, you may want to look into getting an older 68k system like a quadra, or something similar on eBay for dirt cheap, preferably with an OS and built in ethernet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.