Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Coley2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2011
Hey guys,

Not sure if this is the correct sub-forum...

I've got an old Windows 7 laptop that I no longer use. I have quite a lot of data on it's hard drive, but because the thing is so old and slow I can't really copy it over to an external hard drive without it crashing.

If I remove the hard drive and place it into a USB 2.5" enclosure and plug it into my Macbook Pro, will I be able to read all the data?

Thanks,
Matt.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Read yes. Write ? Not natively. But yes you can read from the drive without an issue

Reactions: Weaselboy

Coley2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2011
Thanks guys. So it sounds like if I get an enclosure I can copy the data over to my Mac, but I just can't add any new data to the Windows hard drive?

MRxROBOT

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2016
01000011 01000001
Thanks guys. So it sounds like if I get an enclosure I can copy the data over to my Mac, but I just can't add any new data to the Windows hard drive?

Exactly. However once you move your data over you can reformat the drive to ExFAT or FAT and move your data back again if you want to be able to access it via windows and Mac. If reformatting is not an option but you would like write access, install one of the above softwares listed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.