*Ready For Tiger?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Rhobes, Apr 2, 2005.

1. Rhobes macrumors 6502

Rhobes

Hello-

Guess I'm getting the Tiger bug also. Just wondered if someone could comment on any upgrades I should do to my system before going to 10.4(see my sig). I just recently had a clean install of Panther & use it mostly for graphics, PhotoShop and about 4 Microsoft Office app's.

So will Tiger be available as a download off the Net that I install or is there a better method to do it, like a clean install-again?

Sounds like the best place to purchase it will be Amazon? ;)
    Thanks........

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

lol, download, are you serious? :p No, it won't (at least not legally).

You will need to buy it from Apple or a reseller. Your system looks fine, not the greatest, fastest thing on the block, but it should be OK. Really the only thing you can do is add more RAM, but I'd wait and see how things go on 768MB first :)

3. iGary Guest

iGary

For you folks out there in trout country, yes, Amazon seems to have the best deal unless you are a student or educator, in which case you can get Tiger for (I believe) $69.00.

I prefer to do a complete erase and install on all of my machines. Just seems like over the years, I have had fewer problems this way. Normally, when a release is in the works I'll start backing up stuff to my external, and then lastly I will do a complete bootable backup in case of disaster.

Then a clean install.

4. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Whoa, you're picky... 512 MB is fine for most people, and 800Mhz isn't that bad either...

5. Dave Marsh macrumors regular

I have iLife 05 installed on my new PowerBook, along with a number of other commercial applications, so I will probably just perform a Repair Permissions, Disk Doctor, and iDefrag. I don't want to have to reinstall all my software, so I'll be selecting the Upgrade install option. Following that, I'll perform a repeat of the above to clean everything up. Then, I'll perform a couple of Restarts and Shutdowns/Restarts to allow the System to update/rebuild its caches.

If it then turns out that something is amiss from the upgrade, I'll go back and perform an Archive and Install, which will replace all the System files, while leaving my applications and user settings in place, and move the Previous System files to a special folder for possible use later.

I agree that a clean install is probably best, but I have a good deal of confidence in simple upgrades if the system is kept well maintained, and I really don't want to have to reinstall all my software and reconfigure all my user settings.

We'll see how it goes. In any case, I expect it to take the better part of a day for me to perform the upgrade, including all my planned system maintenance.

6. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

I installed Jaquar in my g3 iMacDV (look at my signature) and it ran fine and flawlessly. Panther ran even faster on this machine. So, Tiger will also run fine. 800 MHz with 768 mbytes RAM is more than capable of running tiger. Apple is not Microsoft. First they optimize their code to run even on the low-end machines, THEN they release their products!

7. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Not really. First they make it work. Then they release it. Then they make it fast. 10.0 was dog slow on any machine, and each successive version has gotten faster; that doesn't sound like optimizing before release to me ;) Tiger should be faster than Panther though, with the exception of while spotlight is indexing.

8. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

I'm one of those people who will do an erase and install. It just feels cleaner. I recall when I first bought Panther I did they archive and install and it ran sluggishly with some apps, so 2 days later I did an erase and install and everything was sweet.

9. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

I am ready and very excited for Tiger.

A grown man so excited about an operating system. Sad, I know. But there are worse hobbies to have... :)

10. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Maybe you should re-read what I said.
    You're not trying to tell me that an 800MHz G4 is the latest and greatest because it's not, it's a LONG way from it, the video card will not support core image/video properly etc. So it will not be the greatest thing on earth. I did however say that it should be fine, and the only thing they may consider is putting more RAM in.