Ready to Convert

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by gator95, Jun 9, 2005.

1. gator95 macrumors newbie

Jun 9, 2005
    I am ready to convert back. I had a Powermac 7200 in college, but switched to Windows machines for work purposes. The news of the switch to Intel does not change my timeframe because my 5 year old Gateway AMD 750 has seen better days. Here is my criteria.

1. Edit home videos and digital photos
    2. Internet and email
    3. Quicken
    4. Word Processing
    5. Spreadsheets
    6. Wireless networking
    7. Sync Palm Tungsten E

I do most of the above today except for editing video and I have a stack of home videos begging for work. I tried once on my current machine after installing a firewire card. It just could not handle the video upload despite Gatway's claims to the contrary. I plan on using the software that comes with iLife to work on the video. Basically, I am trying to decide if a mac mini with 512 RAM will work or if I need to pony up the extra money on the iMac. I will probably pass whatever I buy on to my kids in three years when they are old enough to play around on it. What is the consensus of the group?
  2. colocolo macrumors 6502

Jan 17, 2002
    Santiago, Chile
    A Mac Mini will suit you just fine. Just remember, the more RAM the faster the system will respond; I'll recommend going for 768 total instead of 512.
  3. mac 2005 macrumors 6502a

mac 2005

Apr 1, 2005
    I recommend the iMac with 1 gb of ram.

The G5 chip will process the video files faster, and you can never have too much ram. 512 really is the minimum, from what I understand for OS X.
  4. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    It really depends on how much you want to spend. If you are low on funds and already have a good display then the Mac mini would be adequate.

The iMac has the G5 and so will do the video work you want to do faster. Has a built in display, that is if you don't have one. You will be getting the latest technology, better video card.

Like others purchase the most memory that you can afford. That will also make the Mac perform faster.
  5. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    I agree that the iMac - if affordable - is a vastly better option. The G5 will have more longevity than the G4 in the mini, upgradeability is better, there are more ports, etc.

The mini will work, but the iMac will work a lot better.

Also, I wouldn't say "buy all the RAM you can afford" so much as I'd say "512 is an absolute minimum, 768 is much better, and 1GB is good enough for 90% of all users".
  6. gator95 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 9, 2005
    My monitor is the 5 year old 17" CRT that came with the package so the thought of a new one is appealing. Money is not really the issue however, I was thinking that the Mini would be a cheaper alternative. Although I am familiar with the older Mac OS and think that the transition will be smooth, my wife has only used up to Windows 98. My fear is that she will not adjust rapidly, get frustrated, and want the old Windows back. Also, even though I said that the switch to Intel does not change the fact that I need a new computer, I know that I will keep the iMac longer (at least 4 - 5 years) than a Mini (2 - 3 years max). Should I be at all concered by this?