Ready to Upgrade to Tiger

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by adamfilip, Apr 20, 2005.

1. adamfilip macrumors 6502a

adamfilip

I spent the last few hours backing up all my files
    so when I get my preorder of tiger I can do a clean install

I have a 200 gig firewire drive that I keep most of my files and a second 70 gig drive to backup my main drive and then i made up a dvdrw of my most important files just incase :)

You backup your files yet?

2. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

Actually, no.

I was just coming on to ask how to backup all my stuff in preparation for a fresh Tiger install.

So heres what needs backing up - keychain (for my passwords for websites an all that jazz), Address Book, Safari Bookmarks, Mail accounts, Applications, my desktop picture, my pictures folder, my downloads folder and folder icons, - anything else?

Is there a way I can just save EVERYTHING except the Panther install so that upon installing Tiger (as soon as i get in from work on the 29th!) I can just drag and drop everything back as if nothing happened?

I've only had my Mini for a month so I'm still new to the whole OSX thing.

3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Almost all your settings (such as mail accounts, keychain, etc...) are stored in your Home folder. However, this can also lead to some problems if you transfer over corrupt preferences files, etc... to the new system.

4. blodwyn macrumors 65816

My home folder automatically and invisibly backs up to my firewire drive at 11am and 5pm every day, courtesy of Chronosync. Maybe an overkill, but it's zero effort and I'd rather be safe than sorry. There must be a Murphy's law which states that "A disk will fail just before you do your next backup, thereby maximizing the amount of data lost".

:rolleyes:

5. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

These corrupt preferences - can they be checked/fixed before moving in the first place? Does repair permissions do anything to help? Man if this was a PC i'd know exactly what to do - how ironic :rolleyes:

I have first hand experience of this - a hard drive on my PC crashed and died (click of death) on Boxing Day (26th Dec) some years ago. The day before I was going to buy a new CDRW to back up all my data, I lost everything - including months of work on songs I had been writing. Just proof that you need to backup a week before you think "Hmmm I really could do with backing up my important things"!

6. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

I have an external 200 gig hard drive (USB2) that I will be using to do my backup. I already have my iTunes music folder backed up because it hasn't changed in a while. I will do one last backup of Mail and Address Book to my iDisk using iSync and Backup. Then I'll back up my Documents folder then I'll install Tiger. I'll do this all on the 28th though. I'm not going to worry about keychains and network settings. I connect to the internet using my airport so it's not hard to set that up again. 9 days to go!!!

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I need to do some preparation work before I back up stuff. Even though my Mac is automatically backed up at 12:00 AM every day thanks to Carbon Copy Cloner, I'm going to use the good old CD & DVD method to back up my data and iTunes burning of data CDs/DVDs for my music. I recently imported about 10.75 GB worth of MP3s into my iTunes Library, and I need to finish deleting all the junk before I back everything up.