Readynas to AppleTV?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by nebulight, Nov 11, 2012.

1. macrumors member

I'm new to Apple TV. I am coming from the Boxee Box where I just put all my content on my readynas and put the share into Boxee and it found all my content. However now that I've switched to Apple TV, it seems like I have to have a computer with iTunes open all the time to "host" the media with Home Sharing even though all the content is on the nas. Is this the only way for this to work?

Thanks!

2. macrumors 68020

Yes. iTunes must be running.

3. macrumors 6502a

Not sure which ReadyNAS you have, or if it even matters... But I have a ReadyNAS Ultra 2 with 2 2tb disks....

http://i.imgur.com/sr7qI.png

Should be able to set it up that way. I don't have my computer on all the time.

4. macrumors 68030

That iTunes server option uses a cracked version of the old audio airplay protocol. It won't work at all for any video content unfortunately (or DRM audio for that matter either). There isn't a way around having iTunes running unless you have a jail breakable ATV.

5. macrumors 6502a

Oh really? I just discovered it myself. I tested it on my laptop and it was able to connect and stream video from the iTunes share.... so it won't work with an Apple TV though?

6. macrumors 68030

Sorry, nope. ATV can only receive that data via AirPlay or Home Sharing. Not the older iTunes Library Sharing protocol.

7. thread starter macrumors member

I have an older mac mini that I've setup so that's okay, but I have to physically add all my content to iTunes even though I'm not adding the content to the mac mini since it all resides on the readynas. I haven't figured out how to use that "Automatically Add to iTunes" folder where it doesn't copy the contents to the local drive.

8. macrumors 68030

If thats all you're using your iTunes library for, you can copy the entire iTunes folder to your NAS. Then hold the Option key and open iTunes. Choose the new library location as your library. Then everything will go to there and it'll be your new default location. There should be the Automatically Add folder in the new place that you can use.