Reagan's face on US money?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Don't panic, Jun 8, 2004.

1. FatTony macrumors regular

After firing the air traffic controller, they rename an airport after him.

After ballooning the national deficit and debt, they want to put him on our currency.

Next thing you know, when AIDS is cured, they'll name the drug that does it after him.

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I'm going to be sick to my stomach.

Figures one of the jokers behind it would be Mitch McConnell, the fish-lipped senator who tried so hard to get Bill Clinton impeached.

I agree completely with FatTony. Maybe they could introduce a million dollar bill, something almost nobody would be able to use, and put Reagan on that.

Or, if you're in a more impish and ironic frame of mind, put Reagan's picture on food stamp coupons.

(BTW, a Marvel No-Prize goes to the first person who can identify Don't panic's quote, above.)

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

We could rename Alzheimers after him. "I'm sorry, but you have Ronald Reagans disease."

Or perhaps we could rename the SOA after Reagan.

Or we could build the largest federal building yet and name it after him in homage.

4. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

That would be chief attorney for the Army, Joseph Welch, at the Senate McCarthy hearings. Do I win the No-Prize?

5. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Yup. I didn't think anyone would get it so fast!

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

7. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Here's McConnell's web e-mail contact form: http://mcconnell.senate.gov/contact_form.cfm

Here's Rohrabacher's e-mail address: Dana@mail.house.gov

Let's let 'em know what we think of this idea. Probably won't help, but at least we'll know we tried.

And don't forget to contact your senators and representative as well.

8. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

This is ridiculous! I mean, if your gonna get his face on a note, at least make it the 100 dollar bill, not the 10. That way, only rich people who benefitted from his econimic policies would see him.

9. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

Thank God there is nothing serious going on like a war and social programs such as education, social security and health care are all completely flawless :) I was afraid this was a waste of time.

Also.. Hamiltion was only a revolutionary war hero, the founder of the Treasury, chose Washington DC as the site of the capitol, and an architect of our take on the capitalist system... of course an actor who traded missles for hostages from CA is a better choice.

- Doc

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

11. Don't panic thread starter macrumors 603

Don't panic

my feeling exactly.

I actually choked on my coffee when I first read it. missed my PB by an inch.

12. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i might be coming around in support of this idea. this country is so money-focused these days, i think it's appropriate to start replacing founding fathers images w/ those of modern day presidents, especially those for whom economic concerns, whether running huge deficits, adding to the welfare rolls, catering to big business and the rich, or greatly increasing the cost of living were goals and/or accomplishments.

whereas money featuring the founding fathers represents freedom, the new bills and coins could represent profit.

for starters, let's get reagan and gw bush all over the currency asap.

13. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i think waiting would be a good idea....perhaps in 5 yearsyou don't want to have reagan anymore on the bill
    was he really that good that you have to look at his face everytime you pay something ?

14. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

What Joseph Nye Welch's said to Senator Joseph McCarthy?

(Gotta phrase it in the form of a question, don't cha know?) :D

15. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Perhaps Reagan should be put on the $1 bill...because with inflation, that will be the first to become relatively worthless...so his placement could be a reminder that he fights inflation from beyond the grave... ;)
    (the penny might work also)

16. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

I think its a bad idea to have Ronald Reagan replace Alexander Hamilton on the $10 bill.

Alexander Hamilton is a Founding Father, that makes him bigger than a mere President.

If Ronald Reagan is going to replace anyone's portrait in US currency, it should either be in the $1 coin (Sacajawea), or dime (FDR).

17. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

I think a president should have to be dead for 100 years before his/her face goes on money!

18. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i've decided that each president should get their own bill, the denomination of which is which president they were. so that would put reagan on the $40 bill.

we wouldn't have to replace the singles, and all americans would get better at arithmetic.

19. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Speaking of bills... who stiill uses them? I prefer a Visa Check Card!

20. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Reagan on the $10 bill? Why?

Hoperfully this silly idea will blow over in a few days. As soon as Reagan's out of the news, the idea will fade out. The average news channel's coverage attention lasts what, 7-10 days?

That is, of course, excluding celeb sex scandals and/or murders.

21. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Don't worry, the day you guys get Reagan on the $10, we'll see Keith Moon on our £20.

It'll never happen. It's all trying to put the Republicans on the front page for positive reasons.

22. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

I hear Maggie Thatcher is going to be on the new £10 pound note. They said "Who the hell is this Charles Darwin fella? Let's get that mad old bat on there!"

23. Voltron macrumors newbie

Voltron

$1 coin works for me.