Reak Havok

Discussion in 'Games' started by Church, May 10, 2005.

1. Church macrumors regular

May 9, 2005
    I'm sure all you guys have seen the bf2 movies and screens and seen how awesome it is, and I read a while ago that they were using the Havok Physics Engine for the game. So, what I was wondering is if anyone had started an online petition to get the engine ported SLASH get a SDK out for mac and whatnot. If not, someone start one. I would, but I don't know how :rolleyes:

Thanks, church
  2. benpatient macrumors 68000

Nov 4, 2003
    no indication as of yet that Havok is ever going to be ported to OS X. it's starting to get depressing....not even RTS games are immune to the lure of Havok. AOE III is using it, which means no mac version...

Only a couple of other companies are trying to develop their own physics engines...with varying degrees of success.
  3. cc bcc macrumors 6502

Jul 3, 2001
    That's terrible, Apple needs to work on porting the engine if no one else does.
  4. froz macrumors newbie

May 10, 2005
    There is an article about Havok on IMG.

I'm sure it won't be ported until the licensing costs are lowered.
  5. WhiteSavage macrumors regular

Oct 4, 2004
    Battlefield 2 is NOT using Havok. Tis all said and done. Already went through it on

All we have to worry about is if Aspyr or anybody else will port it. According to them they need to see if the public is going to buy it if its ported. There was an online petition, but I dont have the link. Maybe somebody else knows?
  6. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Feb 1, 2005
    The creators of Havok engine as well as gamespy have done te greatest harm in th mac gaming community.
  7. Church thread starter macrumors regular

May 9, 2005
    Sorry for the confusion Savage, and thanks! Just one more reason not to turn to the darkside (peecee) for games just yet. <8D
  8. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

Dec 8, 2003
    I really don't see why apple DOESN'T start a game studio. Thy have a lot of capital, they have a lot of genius programers and designers. They have a loyal fan base. Who wouldn't pay for a mac only massively multiplayer online game? They might could ship it with every new mac or something. Something like an online mac world/life/community, I'd be on board like that. They could turn the internet into a downtown environment where you can physically wander from building(site) to building with your friends. Fight off hoards of computer viruses and spam. Something, apple should do something.
  9. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

Feb 17, 2003
    New Jersey USA
    A Fine Line

First off, both GameSpy and the Havok engine are both issues of MONEY. Royalties to license the code to make the port. In essence, GameSpy is already available in Mac code, but they want so darn much cash for it, its unrealistic to expect any one game developer to shell it out. While Havok's engine code is probably not yet fully developed for the Mac, they also have stopped all development towards this goal because of license fees.

So, can a company like MacSoft or Aspyr pay the fee and bring us awesome Mac games? Its a huge risk. As it was well said on Inside Mac Games, the Mac game houses are small by company size and money standards. In order to port a game, one needs to acquire the rights. This takes money. Code the game for the Mac. Takes talent and money. Market the game. Also money and Distribute, which requires money as well. If you toss into the game, license fees for the technical parts, then it costs even more. Problem is that the folks at Havok expect to charge ANY company the same fee, regardless of the potential number of copies of a game that can be sold. So, Bungie can expect to sell many copies of halo 2 to XBox and PC folks and have a good idea their money will be recooperated. While a compnay like Aspyr or MacSoft would have little hope of recovering the funds, even from a game sure to sell well liek Halo2 or Half Life 2.

The problem is scale. Macs are a niche market. And games are a small slice of thst small niche. Add in piracy, and making a Mac game is a dicey business. I am glad we have some good companies willing to put it on the line and priduce what we have.

Here in lies the problem with Apple as a game company.

Say Apple make unique and original games. They have an advantage to market (Brand name, website, and pre-installed), distribute (retail stores, website), and code (better informed of code changes and SDK). A compnay like Aspyr would be at a disadvantage.
    If Apple were to license games, then someone would undoubtedly attempt to take advantage of Apple and jack up prices making a profit impossible, even with the competative advantage.
    As for Apple licensing the Havok engine and GameSpy SDK , it sounds good. but for legal reasons and license reasons, they would probably npt be able to negotiate a deal that allowed for distribution of those technologies to other companies or in any manner which benefits Mac games. While Apple certainly has the cash to license thsi stuff, they do not have the ability to do so for a dollar amount that would provide any sort of return of investment by getting more Switchers or the like.

I would love to see Apple work out a solution, or some open source engine that roacks. But in order to make it effective for Aspyr or MacSoft to license this technolgy, we need a larger Mac user base willing to shell out cash for good games. In order to get a larger user base the Mac platform needs access to good games in a atimely manner. catch-22