Real 5.1 Sound

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Butler Trumpet, Jul 21, 2004.

1. Butler Trumpet macrumors 6502

Butler Trumpet

Okay, Im thinking that this really isnt possible with out an expensive reciever but Im going to ask anyway... I have these speakers http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2,CONTENTID=5047 and I have them hooked up to my vcr dvd and gamecube. They sound great but they really are only 2.0 sound right now. It fakes the 5.1 sound pretty good but its just annoying me because I want 5.1. So with out buying a reciever is there anything that I can do to have actual 5.1 sound? Possibly some weird wires from radio shack or something. Any thoughts?
    Oh, and my iBook is still in repair... please come back soon :(

2. Butler Trumpet thread starter macrumors 6502

Butler Trumpet

I guess no one knows anything about this. Good Job Everyone

3. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

In order to get "real" 5.1 sound you need something to do the processing. If the speakers can't decode a 5.1 signal and the A/V equipment can't either then you need something in between them that can - an amp/receiver.

You should be able to get 5.1 out of your DVD player, though, as long as those speakers have some sort of digital input - the Logitech site is a little lacking in specs/pictures of the inputs, so I can't tell.

4. Butler Trumpet thread starter macrumors 6502

Butler Trumpet

the cables that you hook those speakers up with are a green, black and orange mini jack cable. Does that help? It also came with this "video game adapter" which takes the green and black cables and hooks them to the white and red audio cables. This of course leaves the orange cable doing nothing. Which is how I have it set up right now.

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

The M-AUDIO Sonica Theater will do what you need (see here for I/O ports), but it's $120. As mentioned, you need something to provide the 5.1 decoding. The Sonica Theater assumes you're using a Mac. If not, then you need something with 5.1 jacks for output, since, I think, the Logitech uses miniplugs and has no direct input for 5.1 sound.

You can't use something from Radio Shack, because you need something to decode the 5.1 signal. Otherwise, you just end up with a bunch of speakers that all play one of two tracks (left or right channel).

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Hey, just bump the thread, don't be upset by it. Most of the time, your post just didn't catch the eye of anyone who can answer it, and, by the time someone who could answer comes online, it's buried too deep to see.