Real experience with 1GB ram for ibook.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by i_pampam, Jun 5, 2005.

1. i_pampam macrumors newbie

Jun 5, 2005
    I'm gonna buy 1GB ram for my ibook G4 1ghz. After searching for a while, am still not so sure which brand will be really applicable for this model as it sounds that the ibook is kinda picky. My choices are down to PC2700 fro PC from Kingston, Crucial and Kingmax.

Please share your real experience with those Rams.

Thanks a lot in advance :)
  2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    OK, it's gonna help if you tell us where you are located. If you are in the USA, there are many choices of online vendors. Choose a seller that tests and guarantees compatibility with your model Mac. If the vendow doesn't mention Mac compatibility, move on.

Kingston and Crucial both make good RAM at the top end of the price scale.

Kingmax is a generic manufacturer, many sellers sell their modules -- it is up to the seller to test compatibility.

Your iBook strictly speaking takes PC2100 RAM, You can install PC2700 but it won't make a smidgen of diifferenc to performance.

Some MR posters like RAMJet and OWC, I like Data Memory Systems
    They are Mac people and have been in business for 17+ years (1 year longer than us)

If you are in Canada, I hope you know who to check ;)

3. i_pampam thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 5, 2005
    Thanks so much for your prompt reply, CanadaRAM

I'm now in Thailand and gonna ask my friend in the state taking it back home as it's v expensive here. So, I just wanna make sure that I won't need to return it back : )

The reason I want PC2700 is that I found the apple web also sells 1GB PC2700 for this model too. Then, I think it should be ok. I also wanna take a little risk from buying PC ram and that's why I'd like to find some real experiences here.

Anyway, if I can't find.. I may end up buying PC2100 from Crucial as it's got compatibility gaurantee and not so expensive.