Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Craigy

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2003
New Zealand
Because GPS BT units communicate using the serial profile and that is not currently supported by iPhone. Hopefully this is just sw and will be in future releases. I bought a $50 holux M1200 and it works great, gets GPS signals clearly inside my house. Much more sensitive then the 4 year old Delorme EarthMate I had (the usb version). The Holux has a micro-usb port which it can power off of (and charge its batteries) from any usb source, but needs a custom cable to pass data over usb (but why bother). So stashing one of these in your car with a 12v to usb charger would let your iPhone run a GPS app anytime you were in the car. That would work fine for me.

Yep - I use one of these also with my Pocket PC running TomTom 6. I love my iPhone and would love to ditch the pocket PC.

I'm hoping that this scenario works out and that Google develop some iPhone software for speech output of directions. Since the map data Obviously this would require a constant data connection - so if TomTom are developing mapping software for the iPhone I would happily buy that!

Can't really see why we can't use a BT GPS receiver - makes logical sense really.

DarrenG

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2008
England
Hey Darren...thanks for the info..any chance you can keeps us up to date on all thing GPS-iPhone as they develope?
Any idea if Tomtom are working on software for the iPhone?
Cheers
I'll do my best, one of our editors is visiting NavNGo's stand again later today to seek clarification on this news.

TomTom have not revealed any plans for iPhone and I'm surprised NavNGo have chosen to in advance of any SDK announcements.

fedup flyer

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2008
If Apple decides to build a GPS in to the next couple of models, I will defintly be first in line to buy one. I currently use a handheld GPS but would love to have one device that I could use in a strange city when I get out the cab/rental car for quick direction

jg167

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2007
Any word on GPS going into upcoming iphone v2?
I've searched a bit for info on any new BT profiles but haven't seen any mention yet. Might not know for sure until 2.0 goes GA, I guess in June, but if it were in already, one might think Apple would tout it.

beige matchbox

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2005
Oxfordshire, UK
hmm, the ipod dock connector has serial (weather the iphone has this connected i don't know) so is the GPS chipset essentially connected via it?

I don't know much about the iPhone hardware/software, but I am kinda curious as to what the main connection between the gps box and iphone is :)

Supersonic

macrumors regular
May 24, 2006
Hmmm....

Until GPS is an internally fitted item, this still aint no N95 beater.

Maybe the MkII 3G iPhone will have one inside

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.