Real Media to mp3 converter?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by absurdio, Jan 7, 2004.

1. absurdio macrumors 6502

Anyone know of a way to convert Real Media files to mp3? ...preferably a free way? Thanks everyone.

2. absurdio thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, this is sortof a roundabout approach, but I've got something that works, if anyone's interested.

I got a copy of Audio Hijack , which allows you to "hijack" and record any application which outputs audio.

So what i've done is "hijack" my RealOne Player and record the tracks I want to convert to mp3. It records them in .aiff, which has the downside of getting (as they, themselves, admit) "VERY large, VERY fast." From .aiff, though, you can convert the track to .mp3 or .aac through iTunes, and everyone will live happily ever after. Hope that helps if this ever comes up again.

3. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

i think audio hijack is the only way to get realmedia into mp3. i hate real media and their crappy real one player.

4. absurdio thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah. Amen to that. RealOne is about as good as having your legs chewed off by rabid badgers.

As far as that size issue goes, I now have an example: A one hour RealMedia file turned into a 617.4 mb aiff file..which then turned into a 56.7 mb aac file. god bless you, aac.

5. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    i had this problem at work once and the *best* way to get around it is to get a pc, order your *free month* of their plus package. you need to give them your credit card info so after that month they can charge you. then you can burn what you want to cd and then turn around and rip the cd. then you have to call them to cancel the service so they won't charge you. annoying but it worked for me.