Real of CG?

Discussion in 'Community' started by britboy, Jun 19, 2002.

1. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

With The Matrix Reloaded being released later this year, things are starting to get a little worrying. What do you think? Is this real, or computer generated?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

If you hadn't of asked, I would have thought real...

but looking closer, I'd say computer generated... though it's insanely good.

where is this from?

arn

3. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

same boat as arn.... had i seen it as some new movie.... i'd say "ok"... and never questioned if it was real...

man. you made them, right britboy? ;)

4. britboy thread starter macrumors 68030

britboy

Yup. I sat down this morning and got to work..... of course not!

They're in relation to the sequel to The Matrix. I got the pictures from a german website, Gamestar.de.

Square colaborated with the producers, and created some short films. This is from one of them. They will be available free, on the net, something later this year.

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

nicely done, whoever did it. But there is something not quite right and its awefully hard to tell without animation or higher res image.

I went to the site and couldn't find anything, where did you get them?

D

6. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

these have nothing to do with the matrix sequels.

They are doing a bunch of matrix short films.. these are from the one square is doing (the guys who did final fantasy) They will be distributed online.. then a dvd release later on down the road.

Damn nice work.

**edit - here is a link: http://www.upcomingmovies.com/matrixanime.html **

C-

7. britboy thread starter macrumors 68030

britboy

I didn't say that the pictures are from a sequel, i said that they are related to the upcoming movies. There will be ten short films in total. Five will be done under the direction of producers of The Matrix, whilst the other five will come from Square (responsible for Final Fantasy). The films will all come under the title "Animatrix", and will be available on the official Matrix website.

Don't shoot the messenger, i'm only getting my info from what the report said. You can see it in the original language (german, if it helps) on the link i provided earlier.

Duke~ if you click on the link to gamestar.de, in the paragraph there are some links. Where it says "hier", you click on the first one, and get one of the pictures. The other one you get by cliking on the picture to the left of the text.

8. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

im not shootin'. just clarifying.

i still love ya britboy :)

im no hardass :)

C-

9. britboy thread starter macrumors 68030

britboy

Love ya too Bubba :p

I'm looking forward to the release of these 'shorties'. From the stills i've seen they look damn good.

I've just got to ask: are you a dentist? :D

10. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

It's subtle....

There's a general lack of artifacts...... visual "noise" and imperfections in costume position, skin tone, expression, lighting, etc.

Kinda subliminal but definitely present. It's the dead giveaway for CG right now. you can't randomize images enough to make them organic to the eye. For example: Ever noticed that "enhanced" breasts always look aroused? It's because of the change in curvature, Breasts are naturally imperfect..... even the "best" ones. This goes for anything CG too. Humand are only MOSTLY bi-laterally simmetrical, one or the other side gets more use or abuse and that changes it very slightly.

Unless a CG puppet is constructed from the bones up and "distressed" during construction in millions of small ways it'll never look exactly right.

(shrug) ;)

11. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

no dentists here... im an advertising/marketing consultant.

i just had the muppet character stuck in my head when i signed up for the screen name. Although Steve Martin is a pimpin' dentist in little shop of horrors :)

This is great work.. I have some 3DS Max background and even with character studio it would take me a few months to get that character built. That is a problem with watching CGI.. i set there and over analyze the technique and don't pay attention to the movie.

Good times'

C-

** edit - can't spell **

12. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I'm going for fake...

it doesn't look real at all...:rolleyes:

now if I weren't paying attention...

13. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

the more i look at it... the character looks more realistic than the backgrounds.

i hate watching movies and analyzing. but even though you see the flaws, knowing what goes into it and how hard it is can make you appreciate it more. like final fantasy. and ice age. etc

14. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

add some gray hair, moles, scars, and wrinkles and then you have something

no one is that perfect in appearance...even a very young person

but the cg is one of the best i have seen

15. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

ehh, i disagree... in the movies, they do their best to make them look flawless and usually succeed.

so, in a movie, this could pass for real without having those flaws.

though, the addition of them would make it seem more real (ie, why would animators bother to add flaws??). but outside of a movie setting, yeah, too perfect... the clothing is really well done i think. but in a still it's hard to tell how well it moves of course

16. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Nope! Deffinatly a CG character!
    But VERY good! :D

17. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

but this cg character's skin is almost plastic like in perfection

i can catch those subtle hints but the image is scary in its realness

give it a few years and then, the artists will be able to put in those really suble imperfections and get it right

it's like digitally produced drums and guitars...a real person is not that perfect and if a rave track had even the best drummer in the world on the track, people would notice

beyond 400 bpm, then a human drummer gets fouled up...but in a rave digital drum track, thousands of beats per minute can be flawlessly mixed into the track as well as backward drumming where the strike of the drum is the last thing heard with the decay leading a strike...shwooooooooooo- bap!

some jazz drummers can replicate that backward sound pretty good with coated snare heads and good technique, but that rave sound i hear in clubs is definitely digital music...good nonetheless and very original in its own right

the same goes for the cg image...too perfect