Real Old Posts

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Ensign Paris, May 3, 2002.

1. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

Its 01:19 (England) and I can't be bother to take the long 2 yard walk over to my bed so I have been playing with sites, I noticed that the location for the messages ends in a message, so I replaced the last number with a 1.

http://www.macrumors.com/forums/showthread.php3?threadid=1

Its interesting, the first post since the new front end!

Its nice to know that records go far back!

Ensign

2. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: Real Old Posts

Sparkleytone resurected one of the early ones a couple weeks back, it had all the old players, spikey, kela, john123, and even jefhatfield. It was a great read.

Once I saw that I went and found post #1. What I'd like to know is what was the site like before that? Any one know?

4. Ensign Paris thread starter macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

I have visited before this system was fully implemented but I can't remember all that much!

Ensign

5. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Yeah weird that...I visited many times before these forums started, but I have no recollection of what it was like before that.

6. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i am one of the first members since i came in a month after blakespot but i didn't post for a long time

7. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

8. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

The front page of the site has looked pretty consistent since the start of Macrumors.com (Feb 2000)

I originally used PHPSlash... a PHP "port" of Slashdot's code. The original PHPSlash wasn't very good. There were no log-in accounts, the comment system was very primitive.

I made mods to the original PHPSlash and added login accounts... but that made it very difficult to update to the current codebase...

At one point, someone hacked Macrumors.com due to a bug in PHPSlash... so I decided enough was enough... and scrapped the entirety of the PHPSlash code, but kept the look. Rewrote the front end (front page) in PHP and tied it into the vBulletin bulletinboard for the comment/message base.

Overall, works pretty well....

as for why there a bunch of users who don't have any posts... I transfered all the accounts to vBulletin when I got it going... some of those people just never logged in or forgot their passwords, or just made new accounts.

arn

9. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

And may I say what a jolly good job you did, well done arn! :D