Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bakdai

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2001
real player for os x

It's the middle of May and no word yet anywhere on when Real Player for X is going to get here. Am I going to have to wait until friggin' Jaguar is released?

dantec

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
California
Knowing real, they will probably try to punish us because Apple is a major competitor with Quicktime. Hell they probably only have 2 engineers working on Real Player X!!

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
I don't even think about using real player... Pretty much all the content I care to see is available via either QuickTime or wmp. Most content has at least one format available (like real and wmp or real and QuickTime, or a combination of those three).

Hell, I got a free dvd one time because I couldn't get real player to work on my TiBook (rev A) under either OS 9 or OS X. The site that was streaming the content I wanted to watch (a piece of anime) sent the dvd to anyone that reported having the issue.

CharlesOwens6

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2001
real player OSX

It's just that sites like cdnow, and MTV use real player for there sound and video samples. Cdnow also uses MS Media player for there sound samples but when I click on those samples it triggers a classic environment startup instead of using MS Media player for OSX that I have installed. I don't like real player personally but it seems to be one of my only options at this point.

bakdai

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2001
realone same as real player?

So is RealOne the same as Real Player? Because if it is, then all of us that have no choice but to use real player to access certain sites we like, we're screwed for a long time. Hopefully Real Player is different and will be out. I could give a rat's ass about RealOne. Just give me the damn player is os x and call it a day.

Solipsys

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2001
RealPlayer is the worst

Just about the worst windoze port ever made... next to the Flash player. They made the absolute minimum amount of code changes just to get it working on Macs. For instance it quits when you close the window, just like on a windoze machine.

Solipsys

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2001
Shockwave Player for OSX???

That's another "standard" that is seriously missing from OSX... sometimes I feel like us mac users are just treated like total suckers :)

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
Re: realone same as real player?

Originally posted by bakdai
So is RealOne the same as Real Player? Because if it is, then all of us that have no choice but to use real player to access certain sites we like, we're screwed for a long time. Hopefully Real Player is different and will be out. I could give a rat's ass about RealOne. Just give me the damn player is os x and call it a day.
RealOne is alot like Real Player 8, but RealOne has a major GUI change, it has more features included to "try" to please pc users (n it didnt work) by adding integrated cd burning, playing cds, etc...
its just a cheap rip off of wmp7/8 for windows since most of the new features introduced in RealOne Player for windows was introduced in WMP 7/8 for windows...its SLOW and buggy as hell, takes a few min to load up, if you close it, it takes a while to load and i usually have to use the task manager to close it, and it was even worse for win 98....
realone.jpg

Apple should take on Real Player by as some ppl were saying, add .rm and all realplayer extensions to be compatible with quicktime, so osx users dont have to worry bout dling realplayer

j763

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2001
Champaign, IL, USA
A couple of points to make...

For a start, there'd kind of be a legal issue with allowing qt to play propriotary format files (such as rm) with no permission with real. Secondly, Apple and MS aren't teaming up to crush real... from what i've heard, apple's got some sort of deal with real... And if those MPEGLA ppl weren't so f***ing greedy, we wouldn't even be discussing this issue -- I don't think we should support the wide use of .mov files any more than we should of .asf or .rm files. They're all propriatary and they all suck ass. Sure, I prefer QT, but you can't play .mov files in any other player apart from QT...

Foocha

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2001
London
Good points j763

It would be fantastic to see a standard emerge in this area - better still if it was a free and open standard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.