Real Player Streams stay on Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by TheSpaz, Jan 16, 2007.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I've having a weird problem with Real Player on my mac pro. The Real Player on my PowerBook works correctly so, let me explain.

On my PowerBook, Real Player will automatically open streaming files and play them, however the streaming files are NOT downloaded to the hard drive. After I watch the streaming file, there's no indication that it was ever saved in my downloads folder.

But, I attempted to install Real Player (Universal Binary) on my Mac Pro and it does not work this way. Instead, it downloads the streaming file to my downloads folder and then I have to manually throw it away after I'm done watching it. It's quite annoying. I just want it to work like the one on my PowerBook which leaves no files behind.

2. danny_w macrumors 601

Are you using the same browser on both computers, configured the same for downloads? I find that FireFox always does this, at least the way that I have it configured, with any file type (I mostly view Adobe PDF file and notice that they are left on my hard drive afterwards).

3. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I'm using the latest version of Mac OS X, Safari and I have Safari set to automatically open safe files on both computers. My only thoughts are that it could be a bug found in only the Universal Binary version of Real Player or a Safari bug. Maybe I can try re-installing Real Player again to see if that does anything. Safari has hardly any settings and I couldn't find anything useful in Real Player's settings.

4. hoggdogg macrumors newbie

You aren't using "private" browsing on your PowerBook, are you? :confused: If not, it sounds like it has something to do with the RealPlayer Universal like you mentioned.