real PS3 talk here -

Discussion in 'Games' started by mac000, Dec 6, 2006.

1. mac000 macrumors 6502a

with all the bad publicity and the talk that ps3 isnt this and isn't that basically covering everything wrong with the console from ground up will lead to sony fixing all those problems people see and the ps3 should be one hell of a system.

the 360 is geared to online play and connecting with people, the wii is for getting new gamers into the mix and getting grandma to play, the ps3 will make a stance on just producing what it did and will - a great variety of great games as the ps2 did.

PS3 might have been off to a rough start, but taking it to the next level at what it had already reached with the PS2 will not happen overnite. I think everyone is really mad bc they couldn't pick up a ps3 themselves. If everyone could just go to the store and get one I think people would be ok then.

why wouldn't the ps3 be that much more better than ps2 - there is absolutley no reason. the 360 is "10x" better than the original xbox and the wii is "10x" better than the gamecube. the ps2 reigned the most entertaining console last generation, this generation it will be the most entertaining console as well, added with the new given features for the ps3 it clearly is absolute entertainment.

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

So accessibility will stop all these PS3 problems? I can get one in the shop so all of a sudden the games on the system will get higher reviews and the whole system will be bug free, maybe Sony will get more Blue-Ray diodes if I buy a PS3?!

Most entertaining? Mate, no. dude. I never say dude so this is just how serious I'm getting. The Wii came out with demos of how it's going to be in the future. Everyone is losing their inhibitions, going all laughing and smiling and having a great time. That's entertainment, the next level of gaming entertainment? I know that my old Xbox gave me experiences like that too but the Wii seems to slap it around everywhere.

The PS3 is pumping out last gen games in HD. From the reviews I've read (system isn't out here until March 2007, worldwide launch and all) it really IS just dated gameplay in HD. Even Live! (UK mag) said that! And they're the PS3's target audience (rich, 20-30 somethings). How is that entertaining?

for anti-flamewars sake the Wii is a powered up Cube and the 360 is lacking key ingredients (bigger HD, built in WiFi etc).

I can see you're trying to make a point. The PS3 will get better no doubt about it, but have you seen what it's up against? Entertaining was the wrong word to use. Very wrong word.

3. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

I don't think that is entirely fair, what he is saying is that if availability was better than this a lot of people would be complaining less and would stop capitalizing the system's flaws which are not as bad as you put it, system bugs? I've heard very little of that, at least I haven't heard anything that is not in the range of the problems the 360 had at launch (some of which were serious) and the problems the Wii has right now (which you should know, are irrelevant), sure there are a few rough edges here and there such as no 1080i upscaling but you are being all negative here.

Then comes the bad reviews, you can't expect every game to look and be their best at launch, the launch of the 360 was shoddy as well, sure I find it extremely dissapointing every review says the framerate slows down and still doesn't look as good as on 360 but the truth is its still too early to put down PS3 as a bad console. Nintendo said the Wii was way more powerful than the Cube and yet we see some games that aren't really that much of a jump and supposedly developers should know how to develop for these architectures by now but this stuff happens, I bet, one year from now we will see some outstanding PS3 games (that might end up looking better than GoW, who knows?) and we will see some clearly superior-than-gamecube Wii games.

To avoid any confusion, what I am trying to say is a launch does not make a system, look at PS2's launch, it was crappy with a capital C, compare that to Xbox's fairly succesful launch (Halo was its defining title through the whole gen) and yet PS2 reigned supreme.

Summary: All I am saying is, its waaay too early to say anything about PS3, it has had an ok launch so far, nothing spectacular, give it a year and PS3 will show whats its (or is not) about.

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Oh of course, which is why all I'm saying is theory stuff and echoing what the press are saying.

To the OP - So what's the alternative now then? Rather than talk about how disasterous the launch was we're supposed to predict the future?

5. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

Give it some time. Every where I go, people keep telling me to ebay my ps3 but I refuse to. I give up on trying to defend the ps3 because everyone attacks me with a gun that has a chainsaw on it or a wiimote.

6. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

:rolleyes: I've been gaming for most of my live, and I'm loving my Wii, so I'm not new, and I'm a teen so I'm not grandmom.

Wii is for more then just non gamers, plenty of "hardcore gamers" have Wiis too.

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

The hardest job the PS3 has is to convince gamers and non-gamers alike that it's more powerful than the 360. Because right now a rival machine is out for a lower price pumping out games that look better. They really have to work on that first, especially seeing it also has a larger and more varied library of games.

8. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Agreed, but I think the PS3 will be able to out do 360 with graphics, after a few years. Or maybe it will be like the Saturn, powerful but to complex for many dev to really USE the PS3.

I'll give PS3 MotorSport as one NICE looking game...R:FoM is nice but I'd go with GoW over it for gameplay and graphics

9. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

That's it exactly. I find myself checking for Wii's daily. I play my 360 all the time. But have absolutely no interest in the PS3. What's more, I am their target market to a T... a 20 something, single, well off technophile.

This is a serious problem for Sony. All of the guys and girls I work with are talking Wii60... Sony dropped the ball big time. All the hardcore gamers have been playing 360 for a year, all the casual gamers are going Wii (without a lot of people doing both). Sony has no market left.

10. uNext macrumors 6502

i have all 3 systems

i use the 360 to play games (im a shooter fanatic)
    i play the nintendo wii to play with my wife she loves it
    and everybody that comes to my house the wii is fun period.

i use the ps3 for everything else-personally i feel like its the best htc
    out there..specially with the red kawa program i have transfered 10 movies already to the harddrive (which i upgraded from 20gb to 160gb)

i plan on installing linux but will wait until later.

the ps3 to me serves the main purpose of my main digital hub
    if only i knew how to create folders for my pictures i will be set.

i hate how it handles pictures i have a collection of 5000+ and scrolling through each pic would be a hassle.

overall sony ps3 is fantastic, cant wait till somebody opens it up to share files over network
    now that will the cherry on top. And alose when sony allows it to use bluetooth keyboard and mouse
    just wait i dont think people are putting the ps3 to its full use.

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

It sounds like you missed out on the original Xbox. I used that as a Media Centre in what? 2002? Another thing the Xbox does cheaper.

12. angelneo macrumors 68000

PS3 seems to be more popular among my workplace though, personally, I think it's still quite early to pass any judgement, but almost everyone here on this forum is attacking ps3 with a passion.

13. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

When do you think it will be possible for a normal person to walk into a store and buy a PS3 and the store is clearly advertising them for sale and you see boxes of them on display?

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Dont worry they attack everything on this forum section usually without rhyme or reason, including each other.

Hence a lot of the regulars simply aren't bothering coming in here anymore.

You can't argue logic with people who simply are too wrapped up in their own agenda's and constantly belittle other peoples opinions, or manufactuers hardware simply because they dont go along with their own.

I love the people on this forum who claim to be 'gamers' but are really just hypocritical fanatics with large chips on their shoulder.

There is a lot of growing up that needs to be done on this forum section, and its sad that even a poster like myself who used the be in here throughout the day, 365 days per year, trying to keep the balance and keep topics on flow simply decide enough is enough.

15. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

As an owner of a PS3 here's my perspective. I was more excited about getting an affordable Blu-Ray player than I was about gaming. At first I was very frustrated with issues related to my old 1080i rear projection TV. The PS3 was just not happy with that set when connected over component. To realize all the benefits of Blu-Ray I needed a 1080p set anyways, so I bit the bullet and bought a 46-inch Sony XBR3 LCD. The PS3 really shines with this box - for both movies and gaming. Only problem with the latter is the lack of gaming titles currently. That will correct itself over time though. For now I am totally digging the Blu-Ray experience with a subscription to Netflix and a constant flow of 1080p movies to my living room :)

16. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

sounds like you want a modded original XBOX?

other than the 1080i and blu-ray, wouldnt it suffice for alot cheaper?

XBMC being a digital media program n all. :cool:

ps: whats htc?

sounds like someone has lots and lots of spending cash! where's my xmass gift?

17. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

lol dude that is awesome. I totally envy you and your tv viewing :D

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Exactly. Best part about the 360 is that it plays pretty much anything, can run in HD, supports wireless controllers (browsing Quicktimes trailers using my Pocket PC infrared remote application was great) and only cost 120 quid :D which, incidentally, is less than the difference between the premium 360 and the PS3. :D

19. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

i said the original XBOX, not the 360.

the 360 sucks in terms of a full blown media center, as XBMC and other homebrews are missing.

20. jdechko macrumors 68040

The way I see it, the PS3 will do very well once Sony overcomes the production problems they're having. But I really doubt that it will have the dominance that I did last gen. Overall, between all the combinations (PS3, Wii, 360, Wii60, PSWii, & whatever else you want to come up with) I think that all the systems are going to end up roughly equal in terms of sales this gen.

The games from Sony are coming; let's face it, console launches aren't the best for games, and MS will be ready for them, as they've already got a 6-7 million unit lead and a year's head start in terms of game development.

But I agree with Jimmi in that right now, without the market penetration and 2nd generation games, Sony really needs to show why it's worth the wait--cause there are those who've jumped ship on waiting for the PS3 and grabbed a 360--and re-establish itself in this generation with some of the wow-factor that won it last gen with the PS2.

21. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I think the problem with this perspective is in thinking the PS2 as a hardware system was actually that good.

It was certainly better then a PS1, and that is how Sony seems to market it's systems, in comparison to it's past systems but not relative to the market competition.

The PS1 was not all around better then the competition for the time. I'm sure this is debatable (what isn't?) But PS1 was not as powerful as the N64 for 3D graphics nor was the controller as good (originally there was no analog stick), and the Sega Saturn was better at 2D and both competitors had much stronger First-party support. What PS1 was, was the first system to market in North America with a CD-ROM.

The PS2, again, was a good upgrade to the PS2, but at the time of it's release was not clearly better then Dreamcast, once it started to mature in the software area, it had two competitors (GameCube and Xbox) that were better systems in terms of hardware. PS2 was, however, the first system to market with DVD.

Now comes the PS3, it is better then the PS2, which was the weakest of the systems last generation. Why were the PlayStations so popular (and thus "so good"?), because of popularity (brand) and because of the software library. It had the most main-stream exclusives.

But this is a different year for Sony. Their competition is strong, and being the first to market with Blu-ray isn't going to (and hasn't) give them any real advantage. Microsoft is a much stronger and smarter competitor then Sega, and Nintendo has become a stronger competitor by not trying to directly compete.

This is a different market, that is the trouble PS3 is having. They don't have a 3rd-party advantage, they don't have a 1st-party advantage, their competitors are stronger then they have ever been, they don't have a media advantage to the consumer (technology-wise, yes, but consumers don't even know they should care about Blu-ray yet, they did for CD/DVD), and Sony's brand has diminished. It's not the bugs or the availability that are really causing the PS3 troubles.

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Absolutely and totally correct.

23. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Glad you two agree :rolleyes: Why does it matter if the PS3 succeeds or fails? How will a "winner" even be gauged? I see all three of the current consoles doing well in the long term. Choice is good ;)

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Are you much a gamer?

If the PS3 succeeds it means developers will flock to it.
    If the PS3 fails it means developers jump ship and work for other systems.

Seeing that the 360 is a cheaper system I would like the PS3 to fail, it means I can try MGS4 without having to spend an extra £530 (Ps3, game, VGA cable :cool: ).

It's all about developers. They go where money will be made.

25. angelneo macrumors 68000

I would somewhat agreed with you that PS3 is now at a disadvantage but I do not see your logic in wanting PS3 to fail. You want PS3 to fail because you have bought 360 and want all the developers to come to 360 and abandon PS3? I always believe maintaining a healthy competition is good for the industry and having a monopoly is bad? Didn't MS taught us that with windows?