Real quick stupid question...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Doubtful, May 8, 2006.

1. Doubtful macrumors newbie

May 7, 2006
    Ok, I have 2 iMac 20" G5s here. One a PowerPC and one an Intel Core Duo. Both serve me well as I do some graphics work but not to the end that I need to spend more on the G5 tower.'s where the stupid question comes in. Is there any possible setup to hook them up in a way that the PowerPC iMac would function as a display for the Intel Core iMac? So that I could take advantage of the 20" display for use in applications like Photoshop and so on? So I could be running the Intel Core Duo while the PowerPC is serving as a display only is where I'm getting at, I suppose.

I'm already pretty positive that this can't be done but I've discovered a lot of people have solutions to things I wouldn't know how to do.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Just try not to laugh at me too hard. :p
  2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    No...the iMac doesn't have a "video in" port.
  3. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    I'm pretty sure you could do something like that with some X11-based apps, but I'm not aware of any way to do such a thing with an app like Photoshop. I hope someone else could suggest some options....
  4. disconap macrumors 68000

Oct 29, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Not to be a jerk, but if one of your two imacs is an intel, it's not a G5...