Real Racing 3

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by TacticalDesire, Feb 28, 2013.

1. macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Who else is playing it and on what? I currently have it on my mini and love it. I've always been a huge fan of racing games and this one is excellent so far. Performance is great and everything about this game brings me back to the ps2 days and gran Turismo 4. From the music to the way the tracks are, how upgrades are handled, menus. Everything. The graphics are also gran Turismo 4 like. They're great for am iPad. They don't even come close to ps3 but they've certainly caught up with what the best of last gen had to offer. Overall, solid game so far. Performs great on the A5.

2. macrumors 6502a

It crashes on my ipad mini. Deleted the game afterwards.

3. macrumors member

I play on my iPad with retina (4th Gen.). The graphics are simply amazing and the gameplay is fantastic. The only thing I don't like is having to use real money for something other than the app purchase. I would rather pay an upfront fee rather than in-app purchases. However, this doesn't keep me from playing.

4. macrumors 6502a

Yeah, after reading this review from The Verge ("'Real Racing 3' is ruined by in-app purchases"), I'm in no hurry to download.

Regards,
    Tom

5. macrumors 68040

Through a Reddit post, it was suggested to just buy the Silva and keep racing until you build up money and driver's performance rating. Not sure how far one can get doing that but ....

6. macrumors 68040

7. macrumors 6502

AppleDeviceUser

I use it on my 64GB iPod touch 5, it runs really smooth and there is no lag at all.

8. macrumors 6502a

Good article -- thanks!

But, it looks like I'll have to change my racing ways to minimize damage. No more using the AI car in front of me instead of my brakes so I can come into a turn faster. :cool: No more using the outside car on a turn to keep me on the track at a higher speed than the turn would normally allow. :cool: And, no more bumping the lead car from behind on the last turn if I haven't been able to make my move yet. :cool: Well, that last one might still be worth the repair. :D

Regards
    Tom

9. macrumors regular

Add me to compete :cool:
    Game center username : Prawnstar69

10. macrumors 6502a

I feel exactly the same way! Playing this brought me back to GT4, just graduating highschool, locking myself in the basement with my PS2.... If only the physics were more like the GT series I would find myself playing it a lot more. Braking/Acceleration isn't as immediate as I'd like and as a result of being used to GT4/GT5, I can't drive worth a lick in RR3.

11. macrumors 65816

I just downloaded it yesterday. I like it, fune to play. The graphics are great, graphics on mobile devices have come a long way in a avery short amount of time.

I'm playing on an iPad 4, runs smooth.

12. macrumors 68030

The graphics absolutely surpass GT4.

13. thread starter macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

If they do it's not by much. That doesn't mean they're bad.

14. macrumors 68040

It will cost me $33k minimum to get to the next series of races to enter. That would be for the Nissan Skyline GTR V Spec R 34. Maybe not the best car for the series but lots cheaper.

I already have accumulated enough for that car even making repairs and service throughout to the Silva to get that money. I have not spent that much time with the game either.

I can spend $1.99 for $50,000 and I might do it since I like the game so far. We will see but it would be nice being in on the ground floor with a game so to speak when it first becomes available so I probably will go for it to get further faster.

And I do want to try connecting to my HDTV to see how I feel about that. I do have the adapter for the Mini that I need.

15. macrumors 6502a

Just torrent the DLC then import them wiht ifunbox

**** in app purchases

16. AppleRobert, Mar 2, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2013

macrumors 68040

Unfortunately I do not follow what you have recommended in your post. I am having fun plodding along with this game and I am afraid I will spend lots of time playing it more so than I should just like others do with some other games.

What the heck. It is a free download and you do not have to spend a dime really if you do not want to. I say go for it, folks.

17. thread starter macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

it would be nice if this game was compatible with Bluetooth controllers. Hook it up to the tv, sit on the sofa and enjoy.

18. macrumors 6502a

Let's see...I posted that yesterday, so yeah, I was in no hurry to download. :eek: (Especially since I needed time to free up some space.)

Currently up to $26k...had my first oil change (spent 2 pts to speed up the process instead of taking a break to shower :rolleyes:). So far, not bad for free. We'll see how it goes.

If I want my a$$ handed to me, I'll let my kids do it! :D

Regards,
    Tom

19. macrumors newbie

20. macrumors 68030

Your implication, not mine. I never said or implied that either's graphics are bad. RR3's graphics are amazing and GT4's are great for the platform. See this screenshot comparison in my post here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=16887354&postcount=72

21. thread starter macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

I can find nice screenshots too. But yeah. I agree. Both look great for their respective platforms.

GT4
    [​IMG]

22. macrumors 6502a

In that situation I would just play Grand Turismo/Forza. Much better experience in everyday

23. macrumors 6502a

I have been playing it on my iPad 3. Looks pretty good. However, I don't believe there are many cars and tracks in this game in order for it to compete against Forza and GT5. But it's a free game :)

24. macrumors 68040

The Panorama track is awesome, got to that one last night.

In the first series, there is a race specially for the Ford Focus. Well I have the Silvia and do not plan on buying the Focus. I hope that does not stop me from completing the first series 100%.

25. macrumors 6502a

Great! Now I'll never have to take a break to shower! :eek:

I was at least glad to see the timer goes by real time, and that I wouldn't have to keep the game running for the timer to count down.

Regards,
    Tom