Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

devastator777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2005
New York City
Anyone has any idea how to get a cdrom that was designed for the PC to work on a MAC PB? I mean I need to get a software program on a cd-rom for PC to work on a mac? Do I need anything to get this accomplish??? Thanks guys.

Dual 867 PM, 20 1st gen. ipod, 30 3rd gen. ipod 17" 1.5 ghtz PB, 22" Cinema Display. 17" Cinema Display..

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
devastator777 said:
Anyone has any idea how to get a cdrom that was designed for the PC to work on a MAC PB? I mean I need to get a software program on a cd-rom for PC to work on a mac? Do I need anything to get this accomplish??? Thanks guys.

Dual 867 PM, 20 1st gen. ipod, 30 3rd gen. ipod 17" 1.5 ghtz PB, 22" Cinema Display. 17" Cinema Display..
Insert the CD into the Mac's optical drive. However, you said absolutely nothing about the contents of the CD. Your Mac will read just about any PC-compatible CD available, but reading a CD is a long way from using the CD.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
If it is a CD then it should read just fine.

If it is a software program on a CD, check out Virtual PC.

What one are we talking about?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I think he's asking whether he can burn a PC software program that's on his/her Mac's harddrive onto a CD. Then s/he wants to take that CD and install the program onto his PC.

Or s/he has a program on a CD that's written for PCs, but s/he wants to use the program on her Mac.

Or I just made all of this up..... :confused:

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Welcome to MR, Devastator
First tip: You'll get better quality advice if you:
1) use a descriptive title for your post
2) describe your problem accurately and in specific detail

So, filling in the blanks:

"I have a CD with software on it that was made for Windows machines. Can I run it on my Mac?"

Windows executable programs (software) only run in the Windows OS (and even then, sometimes only in specific versions of Windows).

In order to run the software on the Mac, you either need to:

1) Find a Mac-native version of the software
Many programs have Mac versions, such as Microsoft Office, FIlemaker, and most all of the Adobe and Macromedia suites (a few programs are delivered on Hybrid CDs, which means the CD has both the Windows and the Mac program on it). Usually you will have to purchase the Mac version outright. A few companies allow you to "cross-grade" for a reduced cost.

or 2) Run Windows on your Mac. This can be done by purchasing and installing Microsoft Virtual PC. It requires a reasonably fast Mac and adequate RAM and hard drive space.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.