Real wave or not??

Discussion in 'Community' started by iGav, Feb 26, 2004.

1. iGav macrumors G3

now on one of the other sites I hang on, there's a big debate about whether this is a real picture or a fake... I'm not sure, I've never seen anything like it, but then I've never seen a swell bigger than 6 or so ft....

any thoughts??

it's supposed to be here at Teahupoo...

http://www.surfline.com/surfaz/teahupoo.cfm

but here's another picture from a different break and it has a similar kind of curve to it...

http://www.mavsurfer.com/billabong_...es/image_gallery/pages/JawsFromHelicopter.htm

either way, it's an incredible image.

2. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

doesn't look right to me, the back of the wave is the wrong angle surely, it might be a wave caused by a physical event like an erth tremor or something like that though.

Still, I'm no oceanographer, it might be real....

Weird though.

3. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Looks unbelievable.. I dunno, ugh.. who knows.

The one thing that bugs me is how close those people are to each other and how high off the water the image was taken.. doesn't make a lot of sense. :confused:

4. kevin49093 macrumors regular

I can't believe this to be real. The top of the wave shouldn't really flatten out like that if the wave is starting to break. In the second link you gave, the big wave is huge, but it also has the typical wave shape.

5. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I think it's real. Go to this Website, scroll down and click on "Download the preview." It's a crappy WMV file, but it'd still be pretty hard to fake. Apparently Teahupoo is one of the biggest wave spots in the world. For example, see this site.

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Great googly moogly!! That's just absolutely nuts!!!

Yet for some reason I'm slightly interested in wanting to do that myself....knowing full well my wife would have fits and actually seeing it in person would scare the crap out of me.....:D

D

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

8. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

iGAV, i think this one is photoshoped, if you look up towards the upper right, and follow the "edge" of the flat water, you can see a faint line continuing past the broken wave...I've never personally surfed anything that size, so I can't say for certain that its fake, but it doesn't look right; a wave that size should leave a sizable trough behind it, and this one is flat. Also, there are an awful lot of surfers looking at the wave in the distance, but not one of them is anywhere near riding it? Seems odd, especially since anyone out there should have already firgured out where the break is going to be...

also, the buoys are a dead giveaway, a wave that high would simply raise above the bouy, unless it had a huge anchor line, which would make them pretty useless buoys.

9. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

I dunno. When I was in Hawaii, there were waves on the north shore of Oahu (and Maui) that almost took my breath away they were so big. Everyone calls the north shore of Oahu "Jaws" because they are some of the biggest and most dangerous waves ever seen. I guess that some of the waves can get up to 30 feet. 30 FEET. :eek:

Here's an image:

[​IMG]

As far as the picture in question, it certainly LOOKS fake, but I dont doubt the possibility. Pacific waves are nothin to mess with!

Ever seen the movie Blue Crush? Its all about chics surfin Jaws. Most of the cast (sans the main character and a few others) are actually surfers from Oahu that the directors/producers cast for authenticity.

10. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

To answer the question of how the photographer got such a high angle, take a look at this.

I think the "photoshopped" line in the picture is due to the fact that this is a digital camera photo of a magazine spread. That's a shadow from the light source.

11. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

A slight correction, "Jaws" is on the north shore of Maui. Like many other big wave spots, the only way to catching waves of these magnitudes is by tow-in via jetski since even the fastest paddler could not generate enough speed to make their way down the waves face.

12. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

i know for a fact it's real -- that's me in the red cap at the left edge of the photo.

yes, of course i'm kidding. if that were me next to that wave, there'd be a lot of poo in the photo.

13. parrothead macrumors 6502a

parrothead

I live on Oahu. I have seen quite a few waves that you would not believe. I showed the picture to some of my friends that are big into surfing and they all agree that that wave is real. Personally the biggest wave I have seen was the break called Jaws on Maui's north shore. I saw it on a "small day" it was 50 ft high. At the time I lived about a mile away down the coast and you could tell when the waves were big cause you could feel the ground tremor a tiny bit. The surfers on those waves looked like ants.

14. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Okay, some more responses:

1. The wave's trough is outside the range of the camera. A wave that size would have a very long period, and the trough is going to be off to the right somewhere.

2. No one is seen riding it because anyone riding it would have already taken off to the left, out of the picture. The main wave break you see in the picture is not rideable because you would be dashed into the rocks immediately below it.

3. The buoys are there, therefore as you pointed out, they must have a long anchor line--that's a big wave! I suspect they mark the point where the waves usually break.

15. bennyek macrumors regular

Absolutely real! I have been there and have surfed it before. Not as big, but big nonetheless. It is not a conventional wave that people study about in marine biology. It is real and very scary. To someone who has never sen anything like it I can understand the skeptisism.

16. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Hey, I've never seen it (it does look incredibly photogenic though :)) but I believed it :p

17. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Okay, I stand corrected! :)

Has been a few years since I've been there...maybe I should schedule a trip to refresh my memory.....

18. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

like I said, I've never surfed a wave approaching anything that size; i think 9-10 feet or so is about all I can lay claim to, being an east coast surfer....and that wave was a direct result of an off shore hurricane.

19. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I was in Delaware the week Felix floated around offshore. My brother and I were out for eight hours a day in that wicked stuff for three days straight.

I have the scars to prove it.

20. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I've seen the 20' waves that roll in to Mavericks. And that 20' measurement is taken at the back of the wave, the face can easily be 40'. That's a 4-story building chasing you towards shore!

You won't catch me paddling out in that though....

21. coopdog macrumors 6502a

It also looks like a scan from a magazine. It's real.

22. mico macrumors newbie

I sent the pic to friend who used to be the editor of one of the big surfer mags. All I wrote was- 'is it real.' He said it was real. The Teauhpoo in Tahiti.