Real Wolrd Undo

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mr. Anderson, Aug 19, 2004.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

More of a jefhatfield thread, but I found myself grabbing some tools and running up the stairs to the garage and realized that I had forgot one. I had a *nano-moment* where I thought to myself - "undo" - to go back to the workbench and start over. Then I realized I was not working on a computer and that I'd have walk back down and get it.

Guess I've been spending time on the computer and not enough time in the real world.

Anyone else ever have this happen to them?

D

2. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

Haha! That's funny.

I've never had that happen to me, but I've caught myself trying to figure out OS people's heads were running :p

3. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Sounds like somebody needs an intervention from their friends.

:D

4. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

No, but my shrink told me never to open the attachments I have at the bottom of my brain.

5. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

In case this happens again...

just ... Force Quit :p

6. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

I try to "undo" in real world situations quote frequently. The other day I was wishing I could Copy and Paste a stack of cash I had.

7. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

I find myself itching to use command-F when I'm looking for something in real life.

8. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

I've done both the ctrl-z and command-f in real life many times. Very frustrating. Usually when I'm drawing or reading--I always want to undo when I make a thoughtless stroke, and I always want to find a certain word when Im reading the paper or magazine.

You arent alone!

9. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

yeah...

I wonder what people do when they want to put themselves to sleep :eek: ... don't tell me! :confused:

10. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

<looks blank, goes into screen saver mode>

11. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Yeah, the drawing thing happens as well from time to time. This was the first time it was an action.

D

12. Tremaine macrumors member

I have found myself dreaming and the dream is being run on my desktop. I can pause, or put in the dock, everything...

I usually take a day off of work after that.... ;)

13. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I sometimes have a non-computer undo function. I wake up, having dreamt about an upcoming event, and realize I was only dreaming. So I get to undo that version and try the experience over again while I'm awake. If I blow it again, however, no more undo!

14. janey macrumors 603

janey

Code:
    /sbin/shutdown -h now
    or
    Code:
    sleep 28800
    depends :p hehe.

15. King Cobra macrumors 603

For me, it's click the back button to return to 127.0.0.1.

Other times, I would like to have an Undo button for every time I get back a bad test grade.

16. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Well, I'm glad to see it's not just me that does this.

Whether it's writing with a pen, using a calculator or typing in my PIN number at a cashpoint, any little slip and my immediate reflex is to Command-Z it away. It's not just an occasional thing either – it happens all the time.

Maybe I should think about taking a little holiday...

17. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

HAHA... Hilarious :D

18. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

After a few days of non-stop chess I'll find myself looking at a group of people standing around and noting possible moves and strategies... :cool:

19. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

When I'm working on something and then start to stare off into space I see that damn beach ball spinning.

Stupid Beachball

20. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

One time I was talking to someone and they said, "LOL", during a verbal conversation. I wanted to "Undo" her birth. :p

21. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I do this all the time.

I always try to 'find' in my textbooks at school.

Sometimes when I'm writing something and I write word and think of a better word my first thought is 'delete'.

Undo is quite common though. Like if I drop something.

Last summer I played starcraft so much that I thought in Starcraft. That might not make sense, but in the back of my mind I was always thinking about things in terms of Starcraft. I dreamt about Starcraft at night. That must sound really weird, but I'm completely serious. It was really weird. But I played at least 10 hours of SC a day last summer. Yeah... I know...

Oh and by last summer I mean the summer of '03.

scem0

22. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Years ago I found myself in the habit of waving my arm in front of closed doors, because you need to hit the spacebar to open them.

And occasionally it works the other way too. Every once in a while, at the end of a typed line, I reach out with my left hand and swing it to the right.

23. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

I've had to stop myself from saying that in an actual conversation :p

24. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

well, if you have to stop your self from saying "LOL", that's one thing. but if you're saying LOL, and not nearly dying from laughter, but just standing there with a emotion-less blank look on your face - then you need to have a serious vacation. :eek:

i do remember doing something of a real life 'cmd+z' once, but can't remember doing it again.

one time i was using Painter (the natural media creation application) and i was using my tablet as well, sketching with the pencil and pen tools. then i wanted to use a charcoal tool, so i just switched to it. then suddenly i just put the tablet pen down and thought "damn! i just got charcoal all over the pen!" that was pretty funny at the time. :D

25. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The worst thing I've tried to do is click screenshots in magazines. And that's only happened once.