Real world Photoshop benchmarks just for fun, please help

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by acj, Jun 27, 2003.

1. acj macrumors 6502

I would like to know if anybody would be willing to help me find out which is the best system for my needs.

The process can also be used to compare Photoshop benchmarks in a real world application. I would like to compare across both the Mac and PC product lines.

I would like only results from fairly modern systems, and also from a broad range. I don't need 20 identical results from dual 1.25s or 20 from 2Ghz P4s, etc. I would also like G5 results as soon as they become available.

Here’s a link to download the Photoshop action file. The end result might seem ridiculous. It’s just a white circle, but it simulates quite well the things I do to just about every image. The important but time consuming things are cropping with rotate, painting on an adjustment layer, and sharpening.

Background, in case you care. No real need to read on...

I am a 22 year old professional photographer. I contract most my work to a more established photographer, and in the past few years I have worked on about 6000 images in Photoshop. Most are 55MB film scans, and all the new stuff is from an 11MP digital camera, which creates a 33MB file, which we interpolate up to about 50MB in the RAW processing. We have recently launched an updated website and are constantly adding to the searchable database of photos for stock sales and archival fine art prints.

Our claim to fame is our biggest sale ever, which we made to Apple Computer, although I have yet to see the photo printed. Sorry for the tease, but I honestly am not sure if I can tell you what the photo is until the product is available.

Our website is www.alaskaphotographics.com Feel free to visit and maybe you can pick out the photo we sold. There's only about 6000:D

2. acj thread starter macrumors 6502

My results

Oh yes, and please use photoshop 7.01
    The test runs 5 times making 5 images. You need to manually time it. Some Photoshop actions work best on Mac, some work best on PC, I have no idea which these are.

My results (at work on PC) P4 2.0 Ghz. 1024MB ram. Original XP install, tons of fonts, tons of programs.

Real world: 2:01
    (No reboot for days at least, other programs running (but not really taking cpu time)

Fresh reboot: 2:00 (wow what a difference)

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Re: Real world Photoshop benchmarks just for fun, please help

That's mean. That's just......mean. :mad: ;)

4. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

PowerMac dual 1GHz, 1.5GB Ram, 10.2.6
    2'18" - several apps open, QT stream running, Folding@Home running on each CPU

5. acj thread starter macrumors 6502

Power_CPU

Thanks! Glad to see the file works. Would it be too much to ask for you to run it without folding and without the quicktime stream? In most cases I'm only working and not doing anythying else, and I try to avoid folding and such just to gain the best performance.

Thanks!

6. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

2 mins 19 seconds on a:

dual 800
    1.12 gb ram

with several apps running, along with folding on both procs.

7. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

1'57" w/ only System Preferences (timer) and Photoshop running

8. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

1:51

MDD (aug 2002) DP 867 o/c DP 1G
    768MB RAM (PC2700)
    GeForce 4 MX w/32MB DDR
    80GB IBM HDD
    2x SuperDrive

No Airport but 10/100 Ethernet connected.

Safari, Mail, CPU Monitor, DockTemp, Finder, Photoshop 7.0.1

CPU Usage* - max:195% av:187% min:179%

* remember that one processor = 100% so both together = 200%

9. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

hmmm, it took me about 2:10 seconds on a PB G4 1GHz with 1GB of RAM. it created like 5 images of the same thing, is that right? i have never used actions before but i just kept hitting enter when it asked me to. is there a way to turn that off? if so, it'd be nice to know. also, that was with photoshop 7.0, running the altivec core update though. getting 7.0.1 now, if i can... i'll post back with that, and if someone tells me how to get it to stop prompting me during the test.

10. acj thread starter macrumors 6502

sharring actions

It should make 5 of the same image, and while it appears to be a simple image it uses the most common commands I have used for about 6000 images in the past couple years.

It should not, however, require any user input after you click play. I don't know why it's doing this, because I have never shared actions before. Sorry.

I ran the benchmark on another PC.

It's a 2.4 Ghz P4b (with 533 FSB), 512MB ram.

It took 2:23 the first time, 2:18 the second.

Slower than the older 2Ghz I first tested, but I think it's maxing our the RAM by the 5th image. The computer is a shuttle SB51 (kinda a G4 cube knockoff)

11. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

just click on the Run Me! and not on the benchmark one or on any of the subcontents. just click play on the root.

12. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

yeah, i did that, but it kept like bringing up dialogues with the "OK" button or whatever. that was with 7.0, though, and i got 7.0.1 shortly after that, but i haven't tried again. i didn't think there would be a difference. still, my time has to be better than 2:10, as that was with me clicking, clicking....

13. acj thread starter macrumors 6502

huge contributing factors

I wonder how often this is used to fudge benchmarks:

I turned the number of history states to 1 (from 20) and I got 57 seconds on a 2.4GHz P4 with 512MB ram and photoshop ram usage set at 75% (from 50%).

I get 2:00 even with default 20 history states and 75% memory usage.

14. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

Re: huge contributing factors

wow. i keep 200 history states on my photoshop and still got the 2 whatever it was i said. lol. no that's not a typo, 200 not 20.

15. acj thread starter macrumors 6502

200 states

Anything over 18 will make no difference with this benchmark because that's about how many steps I made. The way I do work I don't really need any history steps, or at least no more than 5-10. I work in adjustment layers so I can paint back anything I did wrong.

What I really am waiting for is the G5's. I will pretty much base my upcoming September computer purchase on these benchmarks alone.