REALbasic - Any opinions?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by macktheknife, Aug 16, 2002.

1. macktheknife macrumors 6502a

Jan 24, 2002
    I am currently thinking of learning REALbasic to gain a better direct control over the presentation of my database. I was wondering if there are any users out there who use REALbasic and would like to give me their opinions. The whole professional package (plus the documentation) comes to around $400. A bit expensive, but the program will be worth it if it proves itself to be useful. Thanks.
  2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    I don't like the BASIC language. I like C, C++, COBOL, Objective-C, Java--practically anything but BASIC.

Given that, REALBasic is a great programming package. I've used Borland's Delphi, C++ Builder, JBuilder, and Microsoft's Visual BASIC and like the way they all work. Drag-and-drop programming is great at crunch time. REALBasic's environment is more of the same and the demos work really well. It's not the choice for me, but I'm sure that many other people would enjoy it.
  3. macktheknife thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jan 24, 2002
    Well, I decided to make the plunge into programming. I bought the professional edition of REALbasic with the documentation for about $325 with overnight shipping. I've made a few simple programs following the tutorial, and I plan to go deeper by picking up "REALbasic for Dummies" and "REALbasic: The Definitive Guide" from O'Reilly.

I'm really excited about learning to program. Can any who has any experience with FileMaker Pro let me know how they use it? I'm planning to make an application for work that will let the user fetch, sort, and calculate real estate and finance data. Any programming advice would be appreciated.