Realised, not realized!!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by XP Defector, Nov 11, 2006.

1. XP Defector macrumors 6502

Sorry, but does anyone know how to use a proper English dictionary for OS X? I'm stick of it underlining with red words that are as they should be! :rolleyes: :confused: :)

2. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

In any app go to Edit - Spelling - Spelling... and change the dictionary to British English. It's then set for everything :D

3. POHeerwig macrumors member

You can change your language in "systems preferences" to change it globally, as well (and edit dollars to pounds, etc.)

4. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

That doesn't affect the spelling dictionary.

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I haven't found a single app with this option. :confused:

6. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    You need to be in a text box in a Cocoa app to be able to set it.

Open up a reply in Safari or a new message in Mail, set your cursor in the box to type and then head up to Edit. The Spelling option will let you change the dictionary. Or just hit Command :

Picture 11.png

7. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

I did it in Safari. Type something in the Search box, then Edit>Spelling etc.

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Oh, I see. Sometimes you just have to spell it out...:eek:

9. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Yeah, it does. For iWork, System Prefs is even the only way to change the default.

10. XP Defector thread starter macrumors 6502

OK I've managed it in Safari and Stickies. Any ideas how to change it for Firefox 2.0 (as it now checks spelling) and for the dictionary widget? Cheers.

11. XP Defector thread starter macrumors 6502

I can't find British English in the system prefs, does one need to download it?

12. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

You may need to click the "Edit List…" button under the International pane to add it. Then, drag it to the top of the list if it doesn't go there by itself.

13. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

This doesn't change the dictionary you've set in the Spelling window (although it seems silly for it not to). You may be right about iWork as I can't check that at present.

14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Somebody needs to say it and it might as while be me: There is more than one type of "proper" English. You are using a proper American English dictionary. You are seeking a proper British English dictionary.

BTW, why was your Mac (which I presume was purchased in the UK) not localized (or should I say, "localised") for British English right out of the box?

15. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

I was waiting for someone from the colonies to poke their nose in! ;)

OS X always comes set to US English if it's an "English" version. Most annoying for us proper Queen's English speakers :D

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Although I realise that US English is very proper in its own way, it is very annoying that Apple apps like Mail, TextEdit and others keep underlining "realise" even if your International prefs are set for British English.

17. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

FF2 uses its own dictionary. I couldn't find an option in a cursory glance through its preferences, but if you type "about:config" in the location field, then "dictionary" in the filter field, you'll see a "spellchecker.dictionary". Change that to e.g. "en-UK"

18. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I could see that being irritating. I'd throw my machine out the window if it tried to autocorrect to 'favourite'.

19. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

But there's a solution - see above. No rock 'n' roll histrionics necessary ;)

20. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I wouldn't REALLY throw my Mac out a window. I might throw my PC in protest, though. Anger by proxy.

21. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Yes, likewise. I had always assumed that OSX was properly localized on install for the countries in which it was being sold.

22. teckman macrumors newbie

You need to change the Region option under Formats preference pane to United Kingdom when you open the International Preferences window at the System Preferences to change dictionary.

23. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

This doesn't change the dictionary. Please read the thread.

24. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Nope. That's done automatically when you install OS X and tick the country you're in. Doesn't change anything. There are a lot of instances where the date format doesn't change, either.

25. teckman macrumors newbie

I don't see why it won't change over. Everthing else changed.
    My hunch is the Mac needs to learn a little bit of british before it realizes it's uses the right diction.;)