Realism vs. Run and Shoot

Discussion in 'Games' started by job, Jan 4, 2003.

1. job macrumors 68040

job

Another thread here in the gaming forum brought this topic up and I thought it deserved it's own thread.

Mainly I was wondering about the contrasts between ultra-realism vs normal mainstream entertainment.

It's interesting to contrast games like Ghost Recon with RtCW. As such I was wondering which type of play the average MR gamer prefers.

Personally I have found the realism in Ghost Recon to be ideal for single player only but the entertainment value of run and shoot in RtCW MP cannot be beat.

What do you guys think?

2. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

I prefer run and shoot games for MP, but realism for SP. When I'm in SP and am willing to delve into the game then I go for realism. If I want MP or just a quick SP game then I go for UT or other games like that. For me though, half the fun is modifying and hacking the game.

3. demonx macrumors regular

I have always been a fan of realism in those type of games.

Swat 3
    Ghost Recon
    Rainbow Six etc etc, in MP I do enjoy UT2003 and the likes, but can't beat a MP game of Ghost Recon or Rainbow six for palm sweating action.

4. mattmack macrumors 6502a

mattmack

Im more for realism in mp. Mods like third reich and Day of Defeat(PC) rock especially w/o crosshairs

5. job thread starter macrumors 68040

job

one of the few realistic MP mods ive come across is Infiltration for UT.

with iron sights and no cross hairs, it is one of the few semi-realistic games i can stand for MP.

but like durandal said, nothing can beat modding a game yourself. ;)

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Infiltration is awesome.

Sometimes I want the bombastic experience that only pure Run 'n Gun arcarde-style action can satisfy, but more often then not I prefer realism to traditional deathmatches.

Part of that has to do w/my gaming style though. I like tactics and such and you just can't have tactics in a RtCW style MP. I also like sneaking around and killing people (in Deus Ex I spent most of "experience" on sneaking and sniping). When I play Infiltration I almost always have a scoped rifle and snipe (not camp, but snipe) whenever I can.

7. couch potato macrumors regular

I love both. Multiplayer. Im not a single-player person. I play any FPS worth my time. RTCW is one of a all-time favorites, but I like Ghost Recon co-op with about 10 people:D

8. mikeh123 macrumors member

Realism

I loved run and shoot and infil. Deus Ex great single player game, MOHAA fantastic arcade easy to play type game. Quick fun.

Have got involved with ww2 which is the most immense time consuming game I have encountered. Go to www.wwiionline.com if you've never seen it.

In this game you can spend ages just getting to a fight to die instantly , also teamwork is very important and the average age of the players is about 30.

The first 2 weeks I just spawned ran around for ages didn't find much then got shot. After a month I finally started to really understand and appreciate this game and have spent countless hours in some brilliant battles as inf tanks and all sorts of other weapons.

I appreciate both styles of play but this is one game that can fully immerse you.

9. mattmack macrumors 6502a

mattmack

Re: Realism

Have got involved with ww2 which is the most immense time consuming game I have encountered. Go to www.wwiionline.com if you've never seen it.

If you like this and have unreal try the third reich download mod on planet ureal. It rocks. Bear in mind its a 1.0 Beta. 1.1 is on its way though