Realistically, how much could I sell my 1st Gen iPhone for?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xfusejc, Sep 14, 2008.

1. macrumors regular

It's used, but it has all the packaging (box, cables, CDs, or whatever else it brings, I have it). There are some light scratches on it but it's perfect otherwise.

I was looking to sell it through CraigsList, but the prices I keep seeing are around the $300+ mark, which I don't think people would pay. Or maybe I'm wrong and people would pay that. I don't know.

There are some pictures here as well. I would just like an estimate more or less. The last one is the little case I have it in, which won't change the price but which I'll throw in when I sell it. I can also unlock it if it's required (just details, not that I think it might alter the price; although, someone told me an unlocked phone sells better...)

Just a figure. I kinda need to know what to ask for it.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b222/xfusejc/iphone/DSC_0045.jpg
    http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b222/xfusejc/iphone/DSC_0046.jpg
    http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b222/xfusejc/iphone/DSC_0048.jpg
    http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b222/xfusejc/iphone/DSC_0049.jpg
    http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b222/xfusejc/iphone/DSC_0051.jpg
    http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b222/xfusejc/iphone/DSC_0052.jpg
    http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b222/xfusejc/iphone/DSC_0053.jpg

2. macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Realistically speaking... The First Gen iPhone in my area is selling for about $199 locked. So you could do some things to it to increase value. (unlocking...) That's about it... Get about that much - $170+ I would call a good sale price.

3. thread starter macrumors regular

^ Allright. So, $150 or under would be too little?
    I mean, I know I'm never gonna get the full price back (and I got the phone on opening weekend, so the price I paid was the full-on thing) but I'd still like to make something off it so I can buy the iPod Touch afterwards without having to pay as much money for it.

4. macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Try this... Look at finished bidding or Buy It Now Auctions on Ebay.com. By your judgement find the average selling price for a first gen, good condition iPhone and make an educated decision on how much you should ask. I looked around very briefly and determined around $175-$200 is a "happy" price. Look around and see what you find.

Also, craigslist in your area...

5. macrumors newbie

I'm in Atlanta, and I have two friends that have sold there 1st gen for $300 a piece. I'd recommend listing it for $300 or best offer. I sold mine for $350. Hope that helps.

6. macrumors 6502a

Search on eBay for similar listings that have ended. I did that before selling my WinMo phone so I had an idea what I might get for it.

7. thread starter macrumors regular

In comparison, would you say yours was in better condition or about the same as mine?

Thanks for the replies, by the way.

8. macrumors 601

PNutts

The poster who suggested eBay/Craigslist wins! Prices fluctuate wildly depending on your location so it is difficult to suggest a local price.

Like a house, list for what you want and sell for what you need.

9. macrumors 6502a

RTiii320

sold my first gen last week on eBay for $370... it was unlocked and near perfect condtion! show pics of it unlocked on ebay and youll have no problem selling it, just remember paypal ONLY!!

10. macrumors 6502

Sold mine a week and a half ago for $430 (including 15$ for shipping) on eBay. It was unlocked and jailbroken.

11. macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I sold an unlocked 8GB on ebay for $377 last week. If you unlock it, and are willing to ship international, you can get a bit more. Good Luck.

12. macrumors 6502a

product26

I just got a 'buddy price' from a friend of $325 for an original 8gb (original as in, purchased on the day the iphone was released came out). It arrives on Tuesday.... cant wait!!!

13. macrumors newbie

i just sold my this past week for $315 on ebay. used in good condition, still locked to at&t

14. macrumors regular

I sold my 1st gen. 8 GB locked for $300 in the Chicago suburbs. Shoot for $300 first then see what happens. Good luck!

15. macrumors 6502

I'm from San Diego, I advertised my iPhone as having been through much of eastern Europe in 5 weeks; it was dropped, dented, scuffed, and had 3 small scratches in the screen. Oh, and it was locked... and I didn't include any pictures! I advertised a price of $220 and got exactly that. If yours is in great condition, I would go for about $300-325 or best offer.

By the way, despite my honesty of the condition of the phone, I still received over 10 emails from very interested buyers within an hour, 3 of which wanted to buy the phone immediately that day. I advertised on Craigslist. Good luck!

16. macrumors newbie

Ibook

I was able to trade my to someone for an iBook G4 14in.
    So, the demand is still kinda high!

17. macrumors 68040

dontwalkhand

They are going for about $300.

Also, you can probably get a decent iBook, or iMac G4 (or maybe even an iMac G5) out of it on Craigslist.

18. thread starter macrumors regular

Sold it for $300. In cash too. Thanks to Craigslist.

iPod Touch, here we go :)

19. macrumors member

I'm interested in your iPhone. Could you please send me an email.

20. macrumors regular

TheRiseofTheFal

i sold mine unlocked on craigslist, no box, not original headphones, the dock, dent in the middle of the back, scuffs, and the old style USB cable for 325 bought myself a nice white 3G

21. Guest

sangosimo

I am also in atlanta. Friend sold jail broken and ulocked iphone for 300

22. macrumors regular

Sold my 16GB locked (2.0.1) iPhone on eBay for $550 buy-it-now. The listing wasn't even up for 24 hours before it was sold. :D

23. macrumors 6502a

Opie

Just try and break even. Thats what i did. Sold my 16g original for 350. What it cost me for the upgrade.

24. macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Nice, yeah it is not hard at all to make a lot off of the first gen. Just comparing with how much others are selling for and that's about all there is to it...

25. macrumors 68000

For those who have sold their first gen iphone, what do you do about the sim card? I know that it can't be reused, so who provides the new sim? Should the seller or is it just accepted in the used phone buying community that when you buy a used phone you need to take it to the store and buy a new sim?

I've only sold Sprint phones (no sims) so this is new to me.

Thanks