Reality Bytes: Eight Myths About Video Games Debunked

Discussion in 'Games' started by LethalWolfe, Dec 13, 2005.

1. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Henry Jenkins, MIT Professor

Makes a lot more sense, and sounds more researched, than what video game Chicken Littles (run! run! the video games are coming! We're all gonna die!) want people to believe.

Lethal

2. maddav macrumors 6502

maddav

Good to hear an argument for what all gamers know is the truth.

Though there was that one occasion when Kano in Mortal Kombat removed someone's heart, I tried it and it didn't work the same way. :rolleyes:

3. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

A good find - it's still quite fashionable for the news media to spread serious FUD regarding video games and youth violence.

Still, the parents who are too lazy to check the ratings on the games they buy for their kids (but still blame games for violence) are unlikely to take the time to read this. :rolleyes:

EDIT: That blue text/black backgroung fried my retinas. :(

4. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

5. takao macrumors 68040

takao

well they do exist they are jsut playing different games..
    personally i know 3-4 (if i include my sister)

my sister (25, student) likes to play bright colourfull games with mostly quirky characters or games where you have to build something up (sim city, caeser 3) ... favourite games: mario party 5 which is the all-time-favourite game of the members of the flat she is living... which all 5 are girls aged 20-25

girlfriend of best friend (Student 21):likes Japanese/Anime RPGs (just as my friend) but mostly 2d games on GBA, likes to play funny quirky infront of tv multiplayer games as well

ex-girlfriend of friend from University: 22 works in hospital: favourite game: The Sims 2 and then online card games... but also likes Unreal Tournament (and only this game) playing over LAN

girl from university who plays mmporgs: at the moment world of warcraft

;)

6. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

Same here. I see horizontal line on my PB's screen after reading that article. (I have a 12" PB that is over a year old so, no, it isn't the screen)

Good article though

7. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Yes, most girls like different games than guys.

My girlfriend loves Harvest Moon, though not so much anymore.

She'll play games like Warcraft, to.

But its no fun watching her play any game that requires you to do multiple things at the same time, particularly with the camera or aiming.

For instance just about the only way she can play first person shooters is to semi-level the aiming, and strafe back and forth to aim. I've also noticed that she has a much harder time noticing what is going on quickly, like if someone is moving off in the distance, she won't notice them till they are very close to her.

Speaking of two stick action, geometry wars on 360, she can't really get the hang of aiming and moving at the same time. She often parks it and shoots then runs while not shooting.

But I've heard and can see, that this might be a problem with their social upbringing and thier hand eye coordination. Meaning it isn't their fault they can't aim well, they just didn't place importance in the developing years on reflexes and coordination. (or math and science :p)

8. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Yeah, I guess. According to Lucky from the Fragdolls, girls will recreate their bfs in the Sims, then tell their real bfs what the virtual one did :p
    And the thing about co-ordination... you never realise how much of a skill it is until you watch someone else (be it sibling, friend or gf/bf/spouse) struggle with it

9. takao macrumors 68040

takao

that's no girl problem.. i've got a male friend who has the same problem.. i think it finally surfaced when we played a little freeware game onlien which involved tanks with their turrets: he always stopped to shot so he lost every single round with a 20:0 score.. the only games he can play are mouse or keyboard only games.. and singstar... everything else ends up with him losing

same with circle strafing years ago (especially on the N64,on the PC it surfaced a lot earlier but was easier)... if you couldn't do it you were dead meat in multiplayer.... i still rember how all shooters had a+ d assigned to turning while now it's in pretty much all shooters strafing by default...