Reality Distortion Field?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jalexster, Aug 19, 2004.

1. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

What is this Real distortion field that Steve Jobs creates? Does it makes products look better than they are? Am I affected by it? Help!

2. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

Try ordering a 2.5 GHz G5 .... Apple's order fulfillment process brings you back to reality in no time :mad:

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Ron Popeil has it also, otherwise people never would have bought the Chop-O-Matic and Mr. Microphone in such large numbers.

Maybe Steve's buying it in a can from RonCo.

4. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    the distortion field makes everything better than it really is, and it keeps us coming back for more :)

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, maybe.

<reality distortion>
    "Did you know that many fruits contain anti-oxidants that help prevent cancer cells from forming?"

"No, I didnt! WOW!! Wait, does that mean this Freshly Squeezed Juicer-matic 5000 helps prevent cancer?"

"YES IT DOES!!"

*audience: Oooooooooh*

And its cheaper than an Oncologist at only $34.95!!!

*audience: Ahhhhhhhhhh*

</reality distortion>

6. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

brilliant idea! sell a juicer specificitally for apples that runs a stripped down version of syst em 6 on a 68040 that only accesses webmd.com!! market it as a cheap replacement for an oncologist. get sj and ron popeil to market it at 4 easy payments of 29.95 and they'll sell millions!!! [evil laugh]hahahahahahahahahahah\[/evil laugh]

7. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

all spokespeople eventually pad facts from time to time, it's just that steve jobs pads things more than anybody else in high tech

he is the least honest person when it comes to actual technical facts but at the same time, he is more enthusiastic about what he is selling than anybody else i have seen and it's very inspiring to watch him talk

in politics, we all know that padding the truth and adding spin is the key to success and if steve jobs embarked on any political career, he would succeed to insanely great levels ;)

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

After Pixar finally did another about face after going back to the table to talk to Disney, Steve may be enjoying himself too much beginning in 2006 (the THQ-Pixar deal) to worry about the depressing political situation.

9. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Steve wouldn't lie to us! He's a compassionate deity!

10. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

either he does not tell the truth about some technical facts or he is just "not" very technically saavy like steve wozniak seems to think

some people have skills to sell stuff and some to build/code it

initially, jobs got his ass handed to him on a platter when trying to be king of the computer and operating system market...but years of frustration away from apple and a few things learned at next has finally made him a billionaire several years into his second stint at apple in the late 90s

things are looking up for him and he can rightly take his place financially along with the likes of gates, allen, and ellison...jobs was not born with the business smarts those fellows were, but he learned those skills from many years of experience and it's possible he can regain control in the computer market and even be a movie mogul on the side and have a lot of irons in the fire like a ted turner

anyway, the last chapter has not been written on steve jobs yet and it would be nice to have his name synonymous with wealth and success like "gates"

11. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Einstein proved that Jobs' reality distortion field goes to infinity as the rate of Apple development approaches the speed of light.

12. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

The reality distortion field is where Steve grows our Kool-Aid crops.

Try some... just a sip...

13. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Oh please...

Anybody can tell that the technology used in the powerbooks (for example) is not state of the art at all. Har drive are the slowest in the market, video ram are the lowest, DVD burning is the slowest too, the same with the processor and so on.

For the price of a low end 12" PB you can get an spectacular laptop with state of the art features.

The iPod is another trick, is surviving because of the market and because of iTunes but is way too expensive and you can find players with better technology and cheaper.

To buy a Mac you need to be a Mac fan and not too pragmatic I would say.

I mean, a Posrche si one of the worst cars ever, they are always giving you problems but if you are a banker it would work. For the rest a good toyota corolla would do.

14. crookedcharlie macrumors member

Trying to figure out of this is sarcasm or not. It feels like it's not, but then starts talking about how Porsches "give you all sorts of problems," when in fact, anyone who owns one would tell you that they are very dependable.

I can't figure it out. I must be getting old.

15. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Personally I have a love/hate thing with computers. :rolleyes:

16. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

The keyboards perfuse heroin into your fingertips. That's why you keep coming back.

17. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

You know what...a computer company could have done that long ago and nobody would have been a bit to the wiser. Now thats creepy. Except for the fact that when people got away from their computers for a vacation they would start going through withdrawal.

18. apple2991 macrumors 6502

this isn't true. i read on steve wozniaks website (www.woz.org) that steve jobs actually does know a lot about technology, but he is "one step short of being an engineer." so, a brilliant programmer he isnt, but he certainly knows a lot about the technology apple makes and what to make. apple didnt suddenly get back into profits when jobs returned because he could sell better (although that's part of it), but they also started making insanely great products again.

19. apple2991 macrumors 6502

oh, and

to answer your question: the term "reality distortion field" started with the original Mac development team. the term describes jobs' ability to do two things. the first is to convince you of some idea, for better or for worse. often times the ideas are "impossible" to make true, yet he convinces you that it's a good idea. sometimes, he convinces you so much and puts enough pressure that you actually find a way to do it--as with the original Mac team.

the other thing the reality distortion field does is that it sells a dream. it has affected all of jobs' teams, and often manifests itself in little catch phrases that those wonderfully dedicated apple developers have, like "it's better to be a pirate than to join the navy," or "real artists ship." it rallies the employees to work harder than they would otherwise, and it ralles us to buy these great products!

(P.S. sorry it's incoherent, it's 4:30 in the morning.)

20. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

and you don't?! :p

21. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

if you are in the field, like me, you get to read interviews that steve is in and it's almost always good for a laugh...i remember once he proclaimed in the late 90s that all chips made for macs were from motorola...of course that was when he was still trying to defend apple's important connection with a company that unfortunately got stuck in the mhz race and he yelled at the interviewer who didn't really know one way or the other...he also convinced a lot of people, usually artistic but not technically inclined macheads, that pentium IIIs and 4 chips are not good for graphic design...he may very well know about chips *secretly, but what he proclaims publicly is all about defending a position or business relationship and he really does not care if what he states technically is accurate or not

many mac devotees are the worst techies i have ever met because they hang on steve's every word and don't bother with things like science, engineering, and reality ;)

when i bought my ibook, i liked it because of its features not because steve jobs proclaimed it was the second fastest laptop in the world right behind the powerbook g3...lol...when he said that in an interview i read, it reminded me of joe isuzu

sj is a master salesman, possibly the best in high tech...that one step short of being an engineer could be very little or very big ;)

22. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i live near apple and have known a lot of employees in my life and your enthusiasm for apple, and not historical fact, is commendable...if you want to be a zealot

...mac myths and stories are designed to cover up technical shortcomings of macs and steve jobs' inability to tell it like it is...it's kind of like the watergate coverup ;)

i love macs as much as the next person, but i don't like to repeat the same mac myths which make pc users laugh at us...they are not stupid and they know spin when they hear it...as a general rule, the mac users i have met in my life are far more creative than the pc lot, but things like math, science, and tech specs of computers are not exactly their strong point

i openly admit that most pcs are faster than the macs i have owned, but speed is not what i am interested in...i want a good user experience with the os and i am quite happy with the machines i have used since the 70s from the cute little company from cupertino ;)

a good read for any zealot, to get them out of zealothood and back into reality, is "macintosh, the naked truth"