Really annoying Mac OS date wierdness.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dogbone, Jan 13, 2006.

1. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

Is there any reason that Mac OS does not display the date in the menu bar?

Why can't it say "Sat 14th 7:58am" instead of "Sat 7:58am" ? What is the point of having the date on the menu bar if I need to click on it to see it? There is an option to add 'seconds' to the time but not the day of the month.

Isn't it more useful to know that it is the 14th today rather than it is 14 seconds past the hour?

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    There is. You just need to know how to do it.

Go into Time/Date in System Preferences. Go to International Settings. Hit Customise Date, change the drop down to Medium, drag the things you want (don't worry about what you don't want yet) then hit Command A (to select all) and Command V to copy. You can cancel out of that box now and then go into Customise Time.

In Customise Time, change the drop down to Medium (or occasionally Long), put your cursor at the start of the time and then do a Command V. It will paste your date information in at the start. Move your cursor and backspace to delete any fields you don't want and hit save.

The date and time should now be in the menu bar... like so

Attached Files:

3. dogbone thread starter macrumors 68020

dogbone

Great thanks for that.

I'm not joking when I say it was more complicated than setting up gmail to work with mail.app. Had to put spaces and separators in then after every change I had to remove the day of the week option from time, because I wanted the day between the date and time.

It's a bit unappley isn't it to force one to hack the time with the date.