Really close to buying a MB, however...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by xiaoyu04, Oct 27, 2006.

  1. xiaoyu04 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2006
    Location:
    Merced, CA
    #1
    I am really close to purchasing a MB, however, I still need to figure out how to sell/get rid of my sony s380 so I actually have money to do so. Also, I keep hearing about possible revisions coming up soon, specifically fixing the RSS problems and a small change in the logic board. So should I wait or what? I really want to wait for revision 2, but how long is that going to take?
     
  2. kettle macrumors 65816

    kettle

    Joined:
    May 12, 2002
    Location:
    England, Great Britain (Airstrip One)
    #2
    I hid my P.C. behind the sofa and haven't checked on it in weeks.

    how's your contents insurance?
     
  3. xiaoyu04 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2006
    Location:
    Merced, CA
    #3
    What do you mean by content insurance? if you mean warranty I'm not sure since the laptop is one year old. But I still have the manuals and and power cable provided by sony.
     
  4. kettle macrumors 65816

    kettle

    Joined:
    May 12, 2002
    Location:
    England, Great Britain (Airstrip One)
    #4
    I think I'm saying that perhaps a forum frequented by people looking for predominantly "P.C." type hardware would be more useful. You say sell or get "rid" of. I wondered if it were stolen, then perhaps home & content insurance would balance the equation and allow you to buy the MB.

    ...actually I'm deliberately wasting your time.

    ...except that perhaps in May when the 15.4" MB will be released you may see substantial revision to the mother board.

    How is an RSS problem a hardware problem, that sounds strange?

    about as much use as a Cliff Ghast.
     
  5. xiaoyu04 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2006
    Location:
    Merced, CA
    #5
    I heard about the cause of RSS to be a problem with the SMC wire being shorted out by an expanding heatsink due to heat, which would be a hardware issue not entirely software. However, I'm not entirely sure...

    Oh, btw, I wasn't trying to sell anything here, just asking whether this is a good time to buy or not.

    Is it going to take until may of 07' for a revision...seriously?
     
  6. crees! macrumors 68000

    crees!

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2003
    Location:
    MD/VA/DC
    #6
    The RSS problem as said by Apple has been fixed by a software update they just released.
     
  7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

    Eraserhead

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2005
    Location:
    UK
    #7
    Supposedly, they have already improved the Macbook's hardware silently, mine is cool enough to sit on my knee, and works pretty much perfectly (I bought it in September), I have also heard on this forum that they have rev B'd the design already. I'd buy it now if you need/want it, they are very fast computers.
     
  8. xiaoyu04 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2006
    Location:
    Merced, CA
    #8
    so those horror stories I see in the SMC update post don't apply to the newer week MB's? Because I will be doing presentations on this and I can't have loud fan, etc.
     
  9. menziep macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2006
    #9
    I Would wait since AppleInsider Said Revisions Soon!
     

Share This Page