Really comfortable headphones?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Sesshi, Dec 13, 2006.

1. macrumors G3

Sesshi

I thought posting this on a non audiophile forum might elicit some positive answers. Doing so on such forums just gets me sidetracked because far more people have a tendency to recommend what they want instead of what they have.

I'm after some really, really, really comfortable headphones. Many of the 'audiophile' headphones are just too heavy, clampy, whatever. Also any highly localised pressure on top of my head gives me a headache.

I don't really care about the absolute sound quality as long as it doesn't sound terrible. I'd be fairly happy if it for example sounded like a Sennheiser PX100 in terms of overall quality. I need it to go over the head, and around the ears (not over them). Large squidgy cushions a plus, but high weight a definite minus.

Any suggestions?

2. Retired

psychofreak

If you're looking for in-ears, shures are the way to go. I had some troubles (which I posted) at first, and now I love them.

3. thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

No in-ears. I have the Ultimate Ears UE-10 (which have been remoulded a couple of times), and I don't like using them very much. Does strange things to my ears. Neither do I like the Shures.

4. macrumors 601

zimv20

comfort is subjective, of course, but i can wear my sony 7506's for extended periods w/o trouble. that includes having one ear on, one off for filmsets.

5. thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

The MDR-7506 makes my ears hurt.

6. macrumors 601

zimv20

sonically, i assume you mean. or do you mean comfort-wise?

either way, i have no other recommendations.

7. thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

Both actually - it feels like a plunger and sounds like sandpaper :eek:

8. macrumors 601

zimv20

yikes. i'm interested to know what pair you'll end up with.

9. Moderator emeritus

Practically anything from Sennheiser is comfortable and better than average.

10. Ish
    macrumors 68000

Ish

Sounds as though you live in London. Why don't you go over to the Apple Store and try them all on? There are plenty in varying prices. Don't know of any other shops that have them all out to try. Most of them seem to think you should buy them on the basis of what you can see in the packet.

11. thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

@bousozoku: What would you recommend that's really lightweight and comfy then? There's a lot of models in the Sennheiser range - and none I've had so far has turned out to be all that comfortable.

Well... it is kind of gross, trying out something which has been on several hundred, if not thousands of potentially sweaty, cootie-infested, etc heads. Right now I am quite tempted by the Bose Triport which the Apple Store do have. I've only ever tried it and just for short periods but it did seem quite 'invisible' on the head. But I've damaged headphones the way I'm trying to use it now by running over the cable with the chair and dragging the phones from the table as well as putting it down too hard on the desk, something I unfortunately do a lot now I'm working a lot more often from home - to pick up a call, etc. The Triports look about as strong as a paper bag, which worries me.

12. macrumors 68020

thedude110

Not sure I get the difference between around/over the ears, and these go more around than over the head, but I like these:

[​IMG]

Then, I'm not likely to spend more than $10 on headphones (just don't use 'em enough), and I used Air Canada headphones for a good two years before they finally crapped out on me.

13. thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

14. Moderator emeritus

I'd think that you'd find either the HD477 (130g without cable) or the HD485 (220g without cable) comfortable. There are high specification/higher priced headphones with many brands but I don't see the numbers helping when it comes to light headphones over $100. If you want phenomenal bass, you have to add mass and headphones become uncomfortable.

I've used Sennheiser Open-Aire headphones for hours on end with no discomfort. I can endure my Logitech headset but it's nowhere near as pleasant and my ears ache within 30 minutes.

15. thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

As I'm given to understand both sit on rather than around the ear, and any type of headphone htat does that gives me discomfort.

16. macrumors G4

I bought the AKG K240 about 20 years ago. Not much reason to ever buy another headphone. The sound is near perfect and I can wear them all day The cushions are large enough diameter that they don't go on the ears but around them. AKG calls this "circumaural". On-line price is about $100

They are "open" design so they are best used in a quiet location and they do take a bit of power. But even an iPod can drive them if you turn the iPod volume to maximum. The sund is best described as "accurate". Not the heavy bass that kids go for. These are studio monitor headphones.

http://www.akg.com/mediadatabase/psfile/datei/72/studio_hea4055c1a24d59f.pdf

17. macrumors 603

netdog

I know you said you don't want in-ear as you find them uncomfortable, but I have to give another vote for the Shures.

My 4Cs are incredibly comfortable. The soft liner is amazing. I can't imagine a more comfortable headphone, external or in-ear.

18. thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

As I said, I have the Ultimate Ears UE-10 - a custom-fitted pair of in-ear phones. Even with adjustments they do something to my ear. They do not work for me. The same (but worse) goes for ALL the Shures I've had, even with the soft flex tips. Plus, they're a bugger to insert/remove - just not practical for the use I have in mind.

19. macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Mmmmm, I can just see the comfort in those WWII radio operator 'phones! ANd they use a standard jack, even better.

20. macrumors member

21. thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

@scottlinux: Dang. They look just up my street... although the impedance of 2.2Kohms is kind of steep for my amp to power.

And how many times must I say...
    NO EFFIN IN EARS?

Thanks. Any advance on the Triports?

22. macrumors regular

I don't remember the brand or model number (I think the exact pair I used is actually discontinued but they still make similar headphones) but when last I was in my (music) school's computer labs, I used these headphones that I literally forgot I was wearing a couple times. They're SO big that they fit entirely around the ear, not even touching them, and the headband was just a couple pieces of elastic so you can barely feel it. It was really amazing. The sound quality was just superb, as well. The drawbacks are that the things are HUGE, and probably expensive, as well. But yeah, I could barely feel them. I wish I could remember what brand they were (I'm 90% leaning towards AKG but might've been Audio-Technica).

Oh wait! Now that I actually go back and read the thread, I agree with Chris:

23. macrumors 6502a

product26

I have these:
    AKG K240 Studio (click for specs)
    [​IMG]
    Click The image for a very high resolution image

Notice the design, they are intended for long studio sessions, comfort in mind. They are designed to self adjust, and sort of just 'float' on your head. The sound quality is great, they are studio quality.

24. macrumors 601

sammich

You should have a look at these:

Sennheiser HD590

Having used it for couple of years I haven't regretted one second it owning it. Virtually weightless, no pressure/very evenly distributed around the head fantastic sound quality, plus they don't cook your ear even for hours on end.

They were around AUD$300 when I got them, I don't think they make them anymore. Perhaps you can leftover stock somewhere.

25. thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

I know I know, it's getting into nitpick territory but it does bother me - the K240 is too heavy. I have a K701 which is the same weight and after a while that weighs on my head.

(no I am not a weed. I guess I'm just particular about comfort)