Really embarrassing dumbassed things you done on your mac

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dogbone, Apr 23, 2006.

1. dogbone macrumors 68020

Sep 16, 2005
    S33.687308617200465 E150.31341791152954
    For sheer idiocy it would have to be when I went to delete my 'System Folder' in terminal and left off the final '.

What prompted this thread though was that I just went to click on a link with my wacom pen using the front rocker switch and it didn't work. So I checked in system preferences>wacom and everything was gone!. No worries I thought because only yesterday I backed up my hd with super duper and I was really glad because it became useful immediately and would save me all the reprogramming.

So I replaced the preference file with the back up but it was the same. Puzzled I opend the preference file and the backup preference file and compared them line by line and found they were the same. All the programs were associated.

So I replace it again, logged out logged in, same problem. So I unplugged the wacom replaced the file yet again rebooted the mac, plugged the wacom back in...still the same no associated programs. I was just about to start a thread when I noticed...that I'd gone over to the other mac which also has a wacom and left my pen there and picked up their pen...

Don't you hate it when that happens.
  2. fitinferno macrumors 6502

Apr 7, 2005
    London, UK
    Oh that is really frustrating. Sounds like a really easy mistake to make though. Especially if they all look the same.

For me, things like this happen often as I fix many computer problems each week and often can forget simple things. Like the fact many silly PCs now come with Wi-Fi on/off buttons in the most bizarre places. We get ppl all the time, "The wi-fi isn't work, I can't see any networks." I spend way too much time looking at the computer only to find some crazy switch wasn't turned on.
  3. plinkoman macrumors 65816

Jul 2, 2003
    New York
    i once spent a half an hour trying to connect to someones wireless network only to finnaly realize it wasn't broadcasting, so all i had to do was enter the name of the network on my powerbook.

though i suppose that isn't that stupid. after all, that was the only network i had ever seen in my life that doesn't broadcast by default...

but nothing beats a couple of years ago when i pulled my pc out from under my desk to install something, put it back to find my mouse didn't work anymore. i tried to get it to work for hours before i realized that when i pulled out my pc, the usb cable dislodged slightly.
  4. dogbone thread starter macrumors 68020

Sep 16, 2005
    Reminds me of that old joke when Sherlock Holmes and Watson are out camping. Sherlock wakes up and says "Watson, tell me what you notice".

Watson, who is well aware of Sherlock's reputation, thinks long and hard before answering, and wanting to impress the great man tries to cover every eventuality.

Well astrologically speaking the moon is in the seventh house. Meteorologically speaking it's a clear night no cloud cover probably indicative of early morning frost. Astronomically speaking Jupiter is rising in Ursa Minor, thinking he's covered every possibility he turns for approval to Sherlock, who says...

"Idiot, somebody stole our tent".

Sometimes we miss the obvious
  5. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Sep 4, 2005
    Urm.. On a G4 iBook, like my 3rd Mac, I accidentally deleted Mail. :eek:

The guy on the other end of the phone at Apple told me it would be something like £60 for him to tell me what to do.. but he then said '' thats all I have 'heard'.."

What a nice Mac man :rolleyes:
  6. lamina macrumors 68000

Mar 9, 2006
    From Canada, living in Seoul
    Girlfriend got oil paint on iBook screen

Shes an art student, and got a few streaks of black oil paint on her screen. BTW, if anyone knows of a way to clean this up, let me know.
  7. SamJ macrumors member

Mar 10, 2006
    lol when i was about 7 yrs old, I put the 'Macintosh HD' into the trash on my dads LC 475. I then emptied the trash, u know just out of curiosity. Anyway he was pissed to say the least, he absolutely cherished this thing. It was pretty cool actually, I used to play a game called Putt Putt which kickd ass. I cnt remember what he did to me but thats probz a gd thing.....
  8. paddy macrumors 6502a

Jun 25, 2005
    When I was about 13 I reformatted the HD by accident. Oh god there was war on the house that day.:rolleyes:
  9. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

Feb 4, 2004
    West Valley City, Utah
    Well, I have taken really good care of my Macs but I have written some real ill advised emails to various females in my life from my Macs.

Does that count? :p
  10. MattG macrumors 68040

May 27, 2003
    Fletcher, NC
    Dropped an iBook from the passenger seat of the car down onto the concrete...does that count? :p

I really don't remember anything specific, but I know that when I first starting using Macs and OS X, there was at least one time where I deleted some system stuff I shouldn't have, and had to reinstall the OS. Can't even remember what it was, though.
  11. UberMac macrumors 6502

Jan 5, 2005
    The stupidest thing I ever did?! Dropped my PB whilst it was open. Landed "open" with the KB/Screen side down...I swore it was gonna snap its hinge to pieces :( It didn't though!

Now...not a mac, but hilarious (thanks to Engadget):

12. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Plugged in the mbox despite the huge banner on digidesign's website telling me not to on a MBP [instant kernel panic].
    The worst part?
    I did it twice before it occurred to me to actually READ the warning.
  13. quigleybc macrumors 68030

Jun 17, 2005
    Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    I think i may have you all beat...

Back when I first got my Power mac, I downloaded a file from a p2p site, turns out it was a script written for erasing the HD, and resetting the computer to the factory was all disguised as the file I was trying to download...booby trap if you will..

Well, I learned my lesson, and to this day I havn't downloaded anything from p2p ever again....
  14. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

Mar 19, 2004
    A series of tubes
    1) I rm -rf *-ed a large chunk of important system directories. I knew what I was doing, but I was just careless and not paying full attention to what I was trashing. :rolleyes:

2) Back when OS X 10.0 was a new thing, I deleted a bunch of OS X directories from OS 9 (the normally invisible OS X files were very visible in OS 9 ;) ) This was not a big deal, but I did have to install the system software a few times before I learned to leave that radical Unix "stuff" alone on the HD.

I'm sure there's more that I've done...
  15. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Los Angeles
    About once a year I inexplicably type "rm" in a Terminal session when I mean "mv". I'm not fond of that particular brain lapse.
  16. Leareth macrumors 68000

Nov 11, 2004
    When I got my first mac , a G3 B&W I deleted the HD. Twice...
    then I wondered why it would not start up...

Oh and I could not find the CD Rom Drive for 3 days... I thought it was a BTO option... ZIP drive,:D CD Drive...hmmph
  17. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    when i started using OS X, I moved the system folder in to my user folder to "clean up" the first level of the hard drive. So yea... if you do that, the computer won't reboot. And the worst part is that I was home on break and didn't have my OS discs, so I was stuck a good while... :eek:
  18. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Aug 27, 2003
    When I got my first OS X Mac (after a stint with Windows), I went and bought a new copy of OS X 10.2 because I didn't think of installing 10.1.5 first and then upgrading.

This was after I had wiped the hard drive clean by mistake.

And I also stripped the screw on the memory door trying to upgrade the memory. The poor computer was stuck with 256 MB memory until I could get a screw removal bit to remove the screw.

And this was the first two days with my Mac.
  19. dogbone thread starter macrumors 68020

Sep 16, 2005
    Let's hope it didn't go downhill from there. :)
  20. Apple macrumors 6502

Mar 3, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    I havent been that bad but I put one of those smaller CD's into the slot loading drive of my ibook the day I got it and it would not come out. I had to take it in to get it out. Something I did on the computer would be deleting pretty much all my icons when i was messing with candybar. Dont ask me how but after I did it almost every icon was a white little page and my dock looked retarded.