Really good deal or eBay scam?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mrgreen4242, Jan 17, 2005.

1. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

Feb 10, 2004
  2. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Dec 26, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    Duff-Man says...this has scam written all over it....only been a member for 2 days....all the 19 positive feedback is of course from from the last 2 days as well....I certainly would not be putting my money in this person's pocket....oh yeah!
  3. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

Feb 10, 2004
    Ya, I just came back to post that I read through his comments and they were all for buy it now items under a dollar that were delivered electronically (eBooks, etc) in the last two days...

Definately a scam. Figued it was, but that confirms it!

At least this thread can be a buyer beware for others... :p

4. tech4all macrumors 68040

Jun 13, 2004

Plus those pictures this person has are from Apple's site and are not pictures of the actualy product/box :rolleyes:

And his username is sure creative....
  5. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    Note also that his eBay account name is macminimac, which points that he set up this account with the express purpose of ripping people off on this Mac Mini scam.
  6. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

Feb 16, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    it's especially sketchy since the minis aren't shipping yet. i know the guy says that in his auction, but i wonder what that means for practical purposes. if you pay and then wait until late feb to complain when nothing ships, how is that going to look? will ebay or paypal even care (not that they're particularly good about it to begin with). basically, it seems like a bad plan all around.
  7. MikeLaRiviere macrumors regular

May 25, 2004
    He misspells purchase twice. The only times he uses the word, he misspells it, perhaps to preclude him from legal responsibility (of course would never hold up). PayPal is very unreliable, both for buyers and sellers. I personally was scammed as a seller, someone I know was scammed as a buyer, we both lost our money.
  8. anubis macrumors 6502a

Feb 7, 2003
    My bulls*it alarm went off immediately when I saw this auction. I checked out his feedback and as noted earlier, all of his feedback was for items that he's purchased in the last 2 days, and all of the items are like one dollar ebook items. Surely he picked the items he bought because the seller guaranteed positive feedback, etc. Avoid this guy like the plague.
  9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Why would anybody want to flush their money down the toilet with a scam like this?

Send it to me, I promise to do something different with it. aka, use it like Al Bundy would -- at the nudie bar.

At least you know your money isn't being wasted, and is also keeping that thong from chafing that poor woman who keeps losing her clothes.
  10. Smileyguy macrumors 6502

Nov 29, 2004

I know when things like this come along it's tempting to think 'Maybe, just maybe...', but don't.

I'm looking for a monitor, and have been bidding on a few. Someone from ebay, positive comments and all, emailed me yesterday to offer me brand new a 20' Cinema Display for €500.