Really Newbie iTunes syncing question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by pianodude123, Mar 29, 2007.

1. pianodude123 macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

Hi,

I want to get a answer before I try doing something possibly dangerous... (Wiping out all my music)

I have a MBP and a PMAC G5

I have one iPod

I want to have the same exact itunes libraries on both of the computers. I mainly purchase my songs on the pMac, but sometimes I by some on the road with my mbp. I would like to use my iPod to sync the two so that I have the same music etc on both comps.

What do I need to do to make this happen without losing all of my stuff..?

2. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

First off, copy all your songs to each library on your Macs. As long as your music files are in the same place on each Mac (~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music), you could grab the files named "iTunes Library", "iTunes Music Library", and "iPod Games Library" (if applicable) from the Mac you last synced your iPod with, and put it on the other one when you wanna sync your iPod with it.

Ok, let's say you just synced your iPod with your PowerMac, and you're going on the road with your MBP again. Copy the iTunes library files over to your MBP somehow, along with any new songs, and then plug in your iPod to your MBP. As far as the iPod knows, it'll be syncing with the same library as on your PM.

I've done this before, so as long as you don't totally screw up, it should work. :)

3. pianodude123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

So how come I cant just plug the ipod into the powermac, let it sync all of the songs there... and then plug the ipod into the MBP. Say my powermac crashed. Isnt their a way to get those songs on the iPod off, and onto the Pmac again?

The reason I ask... is because I could just delete all of the songs in my library and then just plug in the ipod and have it sync the songs over to the MBP?

Or am I totally messing up DRM here?

4. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

That's a specific no-no built in by Apple, and like most, is manageable through third-party apps. Google for iPod rip and similar, you'll find a few out there. Easier to match the libraries at the machine level, tho.