Really nice programming quotes?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by MacNoobGuy, Apr 28, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502

hey all, i came across a really great Steve Jobs quote about programmers in the early 90's. he said something to the effect of: "I certainly view programmers as artists. it's just that in the time we live in, this medium of computing exists. if it didn't exist, many of these people would have become poets and painters"

really great quote. i was wondering if there were any other 'inspirational' type quotes out there?

thanks

2. macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Device engineer 30+ yrs, touchscreens 24+.
    True. Heck, many programmers _are_ artists on the side; most often as musicians.

Also, if computing and those programmers didn't exist, Jobs would've probably been a mattress or car salesman.

3. macrumors 65816

What the hell did Steve Jobs ever know about software engineering? Sure he was a UI/UX expert, but that doesn't qualify him to judge how the code is written or comment on design patterns, etc.. Who does Steve Jobs think he is????

4. macrumors demi-god

Shrink

Um...how do I say this...er...politely and with sensitivity...ah...Steve Jobs doesn't think he is anyone one anymore.

Ah...not to put too fine a point on it, but Steve Jobs is...ah...dead.:(

:rolleyes:

5. thread starter macrumors 6502

what do you mean by UX?

6. macrumors 6502a

user experience.

7. macrumors demi-god

kdarling

UX = User eXperience. It's all about how the user experiences the UI, hardware, apps, calls... basically everything.

Jobs was really good at choosing from, or rejecting, what others came up with. He had a great feel for what the common person would be comfortable with, identify with, and desire.

8. thread starter macrumors 6502

ok thanks.

are there any quotes out there?

9. macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Programmer quotes or Jobs quotes?

Jobs never programmed a line of code, so they're different topics :)

Jobs' quotes fall into three main categories: inspirational life/work quotes, his products-are-magic sales quotes, and everyone else's products suck quotes.

Google has tons of each.

10. macrumors G5

yg17

11. macrumors 65816

vrDrew

I thought of Jeff's wise words when I read about how Mark Zuckerberg and the engineers at Facebook celebrated their IPO: By holding an all-night Hackathon.

I don't know if FB's Hackathon resulted in a net gain or loss in terms of total number of lines of code. But I can guess....

12. macrumors 6502a

Apple Key

I don't believe that's true. He was obviously not a programmer by trade and didn't write anything for the Mac, but I believe he did a little programming back in the day.

13. macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Jobs never designed a circuit or programmed. He used Woz to do both at first, even when Jobs was supposedly working nights at Atari. As Pong enginerr Al Alcorn put it:

At a speech in 2006, Wozniak also commented Jobs that "had never programmed in his life".

Jobs didn't know the details about how things worked, and he didn't have to know. He hired others to do the design and technical work.

Jobs was great at speeches and he was good at being the ultimate decider of what the common user would like. Basically, he was a terrific enabler of producing technologies for mass consumption, not the inventor of them.

Some have compared him to people like Beatles manager Brian Epstein... he didn't write or sing the songs, but he sure marketed them and the group.