Really poor performance in NHL 2006.

Discussion in 'Games' started by CraigB, Jun 16, 2006.

1. CraigB macrumors member

Got an base iMac 1.83 ghz model. I just installed bootcamp/windows and loaded up NHL 06, thinking that it wouldn't stress the computer at all. Problem is, the thing is extremely choppy in-game. Even with ALL the graphic settings turned down to minimum, the thing feels like it's running at 20 fps or something. I don't think that this should happen, since my old 1.3 ghz Celeron (512 mb ram, GeForce 5200 video card) could run it really smoothly with the graphic settings 1/3 up. At the very least, the iMac should run it twice as fast as my old computer....no? 1.3 Celeron ---> 1.83 Core Duo. 512 mb PC133 ---> 512 mb PC5300. Nvidia 5200 ---> ATI X1600.

What could a possibly reason for this be? In my ATI settings, I even turned the settings bare all the way to "performance" instead of "quality" already.

2. RamenBooko macrumors member

Must be a problem with either the graphics card or the game install. There might be a problem with NHL 06 and the x1600 (check for new drivers) or try reinstalling the game.

3. CraigB thread starter macrumors member

Warcraft III runs without the slightest hiccup though (on max settings), and the two should be *comparable* in terms of spec requirements. It's probably just the game itself, some weird conflict issues or something. Thanks anyways :)

4. mattmack macrumors 6502a

mattmack

I have run into poor performance if the resolution of the game is not the LCD's native resolution. I don't know if this is the case or not and some times performance improves nearer the medium settings of the game. You might try tweaking the settings and see if there is any change at different settings. Good Luck

5. CraigB thread starter macrumors member

I think that this is exactly the problem. When I tried loading the game (max resolution is 1024x768) in the LCD's native resolution, the menus wouldn't even load properly. I had to change the LCD to 1024x768 in order to get the game to run. But even then, the game *in menus* was sorta stuttering. Something like that shouldn't happen, even with a really crappy video card.