Really Quick Question.

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by GoGoSamGo, Feb 28, 2007.

1. GoGoSamGo macrumors member

I've been using Final Cut for the past few years at school, only having access to it there and everything. Recently I got my own MacBook Pro (this thing is sweet) with Final Cut Pro, which took up a good chunk of space. Now to my question I was wondering approx how many Gbs are used up per hour of footage imported? I've never had to worry about this issue at school due to the fact of ever computer having it's own Lacie Drive. Now though I'm stuck with the computer until I can save up for a Lacie. So if any input could be given, that would be great. Thank you.

2. Mydriasis macrumors 6502

Mydriasis

Well that depends on what kind of video your are importing... check out chapter 14 (page 202) of the FCP user manuel.

But DV at 3,6MB/sec is about 216MB/min or 13GB/hour.

3. VideoTour macrumors newbie

Congrats on the new MBP!

With that kind of investment in a computer and pricey software you should make getting a decent external drive (had for less than $150, easy) a priority.

You want to keep you're captured video on a separate drive from your system drive (and your FCP Projects) if at all possible, for a number of very good reasons. And it's a great idea to use the external drive as a back-up for your FCP project files as well.

4. Mydriasis macrumors 6502

Mydriasis

If possible, always have your media on a different hard drive than your OS and FCP.

And if you get an external drive for video, make sure its Firewire!

5. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

Well it does not HAVE to be firewire. I use a USB 2.0 Drive and it works great with Final Cut Express, LiveType, and Soundtrack.

6. Mydriasis macrumors 6502

Mydriasis

That not what I said nor what I meant.

I was just suggesting, and I quote myself: 'if you get an external drive for video, make sure its Firewire!';)

...so if your gonna get a new hard drive to use as a scratch disk for video, you would be advised to get a firewire HD, they are much fast than USB 2.0 drives when transferring a continuous stream of data (like in video). Not only that, but they require less host processing power.

And you definitly can reach the limitations of USB: Apple's USB 2.0 drivers and bridge chips only reach about 18MB/sec. (on the G5, I dont know about the MacBook) so at maximum efficiency you can only do 5 streams of DV video. With firewire you get twice that.

7. GoGoSamGo thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your help guys. I think you guys are right, I'm going to wait on the editing and what not until I can afford a Hard-Drive. I know it seems strange to be able to throw down so much money on a new computer and crazy software and not get a hard drive. Problem is that I've been saving up (or trying to) for the past few years until the day I could get a Mac and Final Cut, I got up to a nice sum and had my parents help me out with a little, so at the moment I'm paying them off, but I'm going to set my next goal on a hard-drive for sure. Thanks for all the help guys.