Really Simple OS Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Hoef, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Jul 11, 2004
    Houston, TX..... (keep walking)
    I feel like such a recent switcher because I cannot solve the following "problem" :( When clicking on the finder in the dock it will always popup with the same window dimensions .... How can I change that? I have a few folder icons that are hidden and I like the window to be larger as a default. Tx for your helps!!
  2. Covington macrumors member

Mar 18, 2005
    the middle of nowhere ... well, close enough

On the bottom right of your finder window, there is a group of four diagonal lines. Click and drag this area to the bottom right of the screen to expand the window.

Hope this helps.
  3. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Jan 23, 2005
    Its like on Windows... there are lines you can drag...

Unlike Windows, there is no true 'Full Screen' App in a Mac
  4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

Jul 28, 2003
    Citizens Bank Park
    I wouldn't say its like Windows. IMO Windows is much better in this case: grab any side or corner and drag. Why does Apple think we should only drag one corner?
  5. jim. macrumors 6502

Dec 22, 2004
    C-ville, VA
    Hoef -

Since no one here apparently read your question, here is my attempt to answer. I believe that in order to change the default size of your finder, you have to edit the file in your ~/Library/Preferences folder.

If you scroll down to the bottom of the file in the Plist editor, you will see a section called WindowState. Within WindowState there is another section called WindowBounds. These are the numbers you will need to play with in order to get the size you want. I have not tried this so YMMV.

6. ScotRobson macrumors 6502

Feb 3, 2004
    Torquay UK

I click on finder from the dock - finder window opens

Drag finder window to the size I want from the bottom right corner

Close finder window

Next time i open finder again - the window is the same size I last left it without having to do anything to Plists.....
  7. echo3 macrumors newbie

Mar 22, 2005
    Actually, I've played around with this very same issue before. I'm kinda picky about window sizes and I've always been irked by the way that the Finder window doesn't always keep the changes you make to its default size. I've found that the changes "stick" if you close all Finder windows first, then click the Finder dock icon, make the changes you want to the default window that pops up (including size and position changes), and then close the window again. Then if you click the Finder icon again, the window should pop open with your changes saved. Hope that helps!

(This is my first post. I'm no longer a lurker! Wee!)

Edit: Slow Typing = being beaten in explaining same idea as previous post :(
  8. Chappers macrumors 68020

Aug 12, 2003
    At home
    All questions are really simple if you know the answer.

Thats what like here - you can get help if you need it.
  9. Hoef thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jul 11, 2004
    Houston, TX..... (keep walking)
    I am at my PC based office but will try your suggestions tonight. Thanks for all the quick responses!!

BTW Nice observation, Jim :D Thanks for steering the answer in the right way.
  10. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

Sep 18, 2003
    London, UK
    The Finder doesn't always save all the window sizes like it should - hopefully Apple will fix this one day (when the day comes they update it to a cocoa app :rolleyes: ).

As someone said, to keep the new window dimensions, resize the window and then close it. When you close a Finder window, it will save the size settings for that folder you are browsing. (Obviously if you navigate to that folder from a different folder in the same window, it will keep the settings of the previous folder).