really stupid Question, but I'm drawing a blank

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by GeeYouEye, Sep 19, 2002.

1. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

How do record sound from a built-in microphone under OS X? I should know, but I cant remember, for the life of me.

2. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

Download Sound Studio for X. It has a fourteen day trila, but it is a great recorder. There are some freeware ones on the OS X downloads page also.

Gus

3. GeeYouEye thread starter macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

4. Choppaface macrumors 65816

*lightbulb stutters*

hmm that would be a pretty cool iApp... like a basic mixing proggy or something... although the RIAA would have a cow and eat it too :(

5. King Cobra macrumors 603

Let me tell you about Audacity.

Being an amateur audio editor, I've been using Audacity for a long while for simple deletions, edits, or even remixes. However, to avoid crashing the sonbit, I have to wait at least a whole second before clicking on anything to make absolutely sure that I do not get the spinning CD and have to Force Quit the sh** stick. However, it's the only effective freeware app (more options than iMovie) that has the available options for what I need.

I haven't recorded anything into Audacity, but as long as you don't go freakin' nuts trying to mash the clicker on that mouse of yours, it shouldn't give you too many problems.

And one more thing: After you have been working with an audio file for about 15 or 20 minutes of usage, save it as an uncompressed AIFF and quit Audacity, then reload the audio file (or another one). Otherwise, Audacity will drive you up a freakin' wall.

I've been using Audacity 1.0.0 on my Cube, my iBook, AND my iMac, and the same problem occurs for all three computers.

6. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

While we are at this recording thread, Id like to ask: Could I possibly use audacity to record sound from my Formac Studio??

7. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

stike: you have a formac studio? do you use it to capture video as well as audio? how do you like it? etc... i'm looking to get one...

thanks!