Really Stupid Question (TiBooks)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi128, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Jedi128 macrumors 6502

Sorry guys but I have to know, why do people sometimes refer to their iBooks as TiBooks? At first Ithought it was just a typo but since its not I'd like to know what it means..... Its probably refering to the original generation iBooks or something........

2. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

Not a stupid question at all. This actually refers to a PowerBook, not an iBook. Ti stands for titanium. You see, before the PowerBook G4's were changed to Aluminum (with the introduction of the 12 and 17 inch models), they were made of titanium. These two variants of casing are referred to differently. TiBooks are titanium PowerBooks, which were only made in 15" models. AlBooks are aluminum PowerBooks, like the current line, spanning over all three screen sizes.

Hope that helps.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

A TiBook is not an iBook. It is one of the older PowerBooks that was made from titanium (well, it had a little bit of titanium in it). It preceded the current aluminium-based PowerBooks. There's a good app called Mac Tracker that'll give you more info on pretty much all the Macs ever released if you're interested. :)

4. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

Close. It's a term for a particular run of PowerBooks, called that because of their titanium construction.

[​IMG]

Here's one.

Edit: Oooh, beat to it twice! I need to stop opening so many tabs... :rolleyes:

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

We need one more person to repeat the same information to him again, in case he didn't quite understand that the previous Powerbook model used titanium rather than aluminium.

Okay, maybe 2 more, including what I just did.

6. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

:(

Miss my TiBook...that was a beautiful machine.

7. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

In case no one has mentioned it yet... it was a Powerbook with Titanium casing instead of the current aluminum. :D

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apparently it takes about three to four minutes to answer a Mac question 'round these parts. :p

9. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

Titanium being more pricey than aluminium and all... do you think there was no need for Apple to encase a Powerbook in such a luxurious way? Aluminium seems a *downgrade* to me. Not that I'd complain, Ti is a bit excessive and it should lower costs.

10. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

It should be clear that TiBook is a reference for the Powerbooks before the current Aluminum line, they were made of Titanium.

It's not a stupid question, really, but sometimes google helps too.

I was so close to buy one but I got the first 12" AlPB :cool: (egg-fryer)

You beat me :rolleyes: ;)

11. sambo. macrumors regular

sambo.

coz

12. Jedi128 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys....

That was the last thing of was thinking of though... I knew there was a titanium Powerbook, but you'd think peps would say TiPowerbook instead. That would be a lot less confusing. Oh, well....

I'm not sure I got the point though... maybe if someone said it one more time it would be more clear......... :D

13. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

We need one more person to repeat the same information to him again, in case he didn't quite understand that the previous Powerbook model used titanium rather than aluminium.

;)

14. lopresmb macrumors 6502

I think that the Alu PBooks are a bit more scratch resistant (Ti scratches real easy) and the TiBooks were a little hotter as well I think.

But that said, I remember when they came out, they truly are really gorgeous machines...

15. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Paint-wise or just the case itself? I would agree; the aluminum PowerBooks are quite scratch-resistant. My TiBook has the infamous paint peeling problem, though.

As for getting hotter, that may be also because of the G4 chips development. Going out on a limb here, the earlier G4 chips ran hotter (slightly) than the latter ones. Apple has done a pretty good job of cooling the G4 (they've had enough time now :rolleyes: ) and re-engineering the cases. For example, my rev A 12" runs hot just about all the time, the fan runs almost all the time, too. The newer models, the 1Ghz, 1.33 and so on, are much better engineered.